21:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Services from Geneva

Old 30th September 2008, 12:31

Services from Geneva

I'm planning a trip to Geneva next year and I'm aware that there should many scenic rail journeys which can be made from there. Can anyone recommend what are amongst the most scenic routes?

Old 30th September 2008, 20:45

I'm sure that there are probably some scenic rail journeys on the French side of the border but as far as Switzerland is concerned you will first need to travel for about an hour to the lakeside towns of Vevey and Montreux. From here you can take the 800 and 1000mm mountain lines to such places as Les Pléiades, Rochers-de-Naye and the Montreux Oberland Bernois line to Zweisimmen.
The next place of interest is probably Aigle. From here 1000mm scenic mountain lines radiate to Leysin, Le Sépey, Les Diablerets and Champéry.
After Aigle comes Bex where there is another 1000mm line up to Villars and Col-de-Bretaye.
Continuing along the Rhone valley the mainline then comes to Martigny where there are mountain lines leading to Orsiéres, Le Chable and Chamonix (for Mont Blanc). The next junction is Visp where you can pick up the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn for a very scenic trip to Zermatt or continue on to Brig where you can either ride on the BLS railway over the old Lötschberg mountain line or take the 1000mm Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn for a ride up into the mountains in the direction of Andermatt.

Last edited by swisstrains; 30th September 2008 at 21:42.
Old 1st October 2008, 12:55

Thanks.

I now need to look at my map.
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:55

If you have a full day to spare I would recommend the following itinerary:-
1)An SBB/CFF mainline service from Geneva to Visp along the Rhone Valley line with views of Lake Geneva.
2)Visp to Zermatt and return to Brig on the metre gauge Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn. Very scenic with some rack sections.
3)Brig to Spiez on a BLS regional train over the old Lötschberg line. Great views of the Rhone Valley and Kander Valley.
4)Spiez to Zweisimmen on a BLS regional train.
5)Zweisimmen to Montreux on a metre gauge train of the Montreux-Bernois-Oberland railway. Scenic journey through skiing areas with great views overlooking Lake Geneva.
6)Montreux back to Geneva on an SBB/CFF service.

This journey can be completed in 12.5 hours.
Old 2nd October 2008, 13:21

Very interested in your note John ....My wife and I have just returned from our 4th holiday in Switzerland and think that the train journey from Geneva along the Lake to Martigny is a joy in itself ( given the clearest of days, which is not by any means guaranteed). We happened to do the Martigny to Le Chable leg this time....more spectacular sights. Previously we have been from Martigny to Zermatt but memories of our few hours in Zermatt were literally shrouded in freezing mist whilst a few feet down the valley was brilliant sunshine. It's a bit like that here in Northumberland sometimes!!

Alex10
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex10 View Post
................ ....My wife and I have just returned from our 4th holiday in Switzerland ................
Hi Alex,
Does that mean that you're now well and truly hooked on the land of cheese, chocolate and trains?
Old 2nd October 2008, 20:47
Station Manager

Should that not read Cheesy chocolate trains John.
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:19

Yes John, it does but not so much on the cheese and chocolate although excellent without a doubt. The list has to include general friendliness and attitude,. punctuality and pride in the surroundings ( ie clean streets etc ).
Might mention Wine as well...pity you can't get it over here. Apparently the Swiss drink all the wine they produce!

Re. busses and trains particularly ( since this is a railway forum) we have often noted how the coach interiors are given a valet treatment on arrival at the terminus. It seems to be a standing order certainly at the Geneva Airport station.

Hope to go back next year

Alex10
Old 5th October 2008, 22:01

Can I also recommend a trip to Gruyeres from Montreux,just a change of trains at Montbovon.
It's a beautiful little town,just uphill from the station and you can load up with cheese from the dairy near the station on your way back.

John,your itineries are making me want to bring my next years Swiss fix forward to the winter.Flybe are flying to Geneva direct from the IOM from Jan - April so am tempted to have a week in Geneva/Lausanne/Montreux.It saves all the hassle of Terminal/Flight changes in the UK.

What do you reckon?
Old 6th October 2008, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60074
Can I also recommend a trip to Gruyeres from Montreux,just a change of trains at Montbovon.
It's a beautiful little town,just uphill from the station and you can load up with cheese from the dairy near the station on your way back.
Couldn't agree more Chris.
Gruyeres is a great place to visit, especially from Geneva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60074
John,your itineries are making me want to bring my next years Swiss fix forward to the winter.Flybe are flying to Geneva direct from the IOM from Jan - April so am tempted to have a week in Geneva/Lausanne/Montreux.It saves all the hassle of Terminal/Flight changes in the UK.

What do you reckon?
I'm sure you know what I'm going to say..............Go for it mate!!!