13:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Maindy Sidings, Cardiff

Old 9th February 2009, 17:43

Maindy Sidings, Cardiff

Dear all,

I am a student looking for information about the history of the Maindy Place rail sidings in Cardiff. If anyone would be able to provide any information on what may remain in a disused rail siding, such as potential pollutants, or any site specific information i would be truely grateful.

Thank you for your time

Old 10th February 2009, 20:20

Hmm, I'm trying to place where Maindy Place sidings are, memory doesn't bring up any immediate results. I'll make enquiries and see what I can find out though, I'm rather curious myself!

EDIT: Google Maps produces Maindy Road, Cathays, Cardiff. I know where you refer to now, the old Cathays depot.

I've not been past there for many a fine year now (2006 if memory serves and bugger all was there then), I believe they were building student accommodation there for September 2006/2007 when I went past. Google Maps doesn't collaborate with that though. Weird.

Interesting question though about whether any potential pollutants would be left behind. As I said above, I'll make enquiries elsewhere. Might be worth searching Fotopic for Cathays and seeing what it comes up with.

Last edited by KingtonTramBasher; 10th February 2009 at 20:24.
Old 10th February 2009, 20:39
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Student1.

Can't help with your query but probably someone on the Forum will be able to.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 10th February 2009, 20:45
Station Manager

Hello Student1, welcome to the Railway Forum. I will ask my daughter's partner if he has any info for you as they live in Cardiff.
Old 11th February 2009, 15:49

Do you mean Powell Duffryn sidings or Cathays C&W. P D overhauled tank wagons.This firm has long gone.Cathays were used by Pullman rail,now at Canton.The Uni of Wales took a lot of land for accomadation.Everything was cleared when P D went from its yard.There is a railway station at Cathays.
Hope this helps.
Old 9th March 2009, 23:54

Thank you all for your responses. The site was baught by the uni in 2008 with the intention of developing it as new facilities. I have some information about possible contaminants but I am struggling to find any information on the sites history i.e. who owned it, what was it used for and when was it decomission/dissused?

Thak you again for your time
Old 11th March 2009, 19:12

The contamination is mainly from steaming out rail tankers in readyness for overhaul,oil,petrol residues.