22:04

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

How Northern and Transpennine Express could improve services.

Old 12th December 2007, 10:12

How Northern and Transpennine Express could improve services.

North Transpennine trains can be very crowded. The busiest section (on a normal day) is said to be Leeds to Huddersfield, followed closely by Huddersfield to Manchester Piccadilly. If there was a Stockport to Leeds service running via the Stockport to Stalybridge line calling at Reddish South, Denton, Guide Bridge, Stalybridge and Huddersfield it probably would take around the same sort of time as going between Stockport and Leeds via Manchester. However, for some people who have to change trains at Piccadilly, changing at Stockport or Guide Bridge instead would probably save them time as well as reducing overcrowding and giving some stations a proper service. I'm sure Northern would be happy to not have to run the weekly Stockport to Stalybridge service if Transpennine Express wanted to run that service.

Currently, especially in the summer, trains between Blackpool and Manchester and beyond can get very crowded. A problem seems to be that many people travelling north, starting south of Manchester and going to Blackpool change at Stockport. There is only one direct train an hour between Stockport and Blackpool, which has usually originated from Buxton which is already a busy route. Using a larger train on this service would help, but having two trains an hour from Stockport would be much better. If a second train was to run between Stockport and Blackpool then it probably would be best if some of the more lightly used stations like Blackrod and Layton get the same frequency of service as they do currently but all trains to Blackpool could call at around the same number of stations to keep them at equal intervals from most stations.

One final suggestion is currently a delay to the local Manchester Oxford Rd to Liverpool service could easily result in either the Liverpool to Scarborough or Liverpool to Norwich service being delayed as a consequence. Why don't Northern run a Liverpool to Warrington Central and Warrington Central to Manchester Piccadilly service instead? It must be possible to turn trains around at Warrington Central based on what trains do first thing in the morning and late at night. Also, I caught a train from Glazebrook a couple of months ago a number of people, including myself, transferred to the Liverpool to Scarborough service at Manchester Oxford Rd and alighted at Manchester Piccadilly.

Old 12th December 2007, 10:22

I like your suggestion about Manchesterp-Huddersfield via Stockport. I definitely think there could be a use for this idea. Since one of the major problems is transpennine trains having to slow down near Manchester in order to get from the North side of the tracks on route through Ardwick, to the opposite Sout end for the Airport. If the trains went direct to Stockport it would mean for faster times to and from Manchester. I jyst wodner if the 185s would pass for service on the Denton line due to their weight.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:58

Another crazy suggestion would be to re-order nthe additional 5 185 units which the DfT decided to cut then more services could run doubled up. Then you could also order some 185's or 172's for nothern for there longer distance routes to the cascade 158's to other routes. Then i wake up and realise thats common sence
Old 12th December 2007, 14:55

At the end of the day it is all about money and the trouble with turning trains back at Warrington Ctl is if there is a points failiure then all services are back loged and chaous is caused.

At one time they did turn them back at Warrington Ctl but like the St.Helens Ctl Turn back it was axed and put in to Manchester.

If Network Rail put back a turn back platform at Warrington Ctl then it wouldent be so bad.

Yesterday i traveled on the 15.55 from Liverpool Lime St to Hunts Cross it was worked by 150 273 or 274 one of those two anyway.

But yet the one that goes out at 16.55 from L/Pool Lime St was a 142 which is heavily loaded but yet the 15.55 was fairly quiet doesent make sense at all.

I can't see why they can't put the birminham train at 55 mins past the hour and the Hunts Cross / Manchester Ox Rd one at 40 mins past the hour and to save it being over loaded and sitting in Lime Street for 1/2 an hour poluting the atmos fear.

In my book it is not what rolling stock you have it is what you do with it that counts and the maintinece of them needs to be sorted out once and for all along with the allocations today a 142 was working a Blackpool express (frm l/pool).

No need for the trains to run to Blackpool in the winter when you can have about 5 to 10 minute wait in Preston for the Local Stopping Service as affter being on a 142 traveing at speed you would need a bit of fresh air and a strong drink or two.

Northern Rail "woffull"

Stagecoach North West Trains it should be far better company or even Arriva Trains North West & Wales wouldent go down too bad.
Old 17th December 2007, 13:55

Grand Central's sister company Grand Union have plans to use the line between Stockport and Stalybridge for a Bradford to London Euston service calling at Brighouse, Huddersfield, Guide Bridge and Stockport on the way. They claim it would be competitive (time wise) with National Express East Coast's occasional service between Bradford and Kings Cross and Virgin Train's service between Stockport and London Euston. I don't know what type of trains they plan to use but I'd imagine they must consider the line between Stalybridge and Stockport to be in good condition or that improvements can easily be made. Although, Grand Union were told that the service cannot start before 2011 due to competition protection rules.

Regarding your idea. Transpennine Express could send the Manchester to Hull service via Stockport, it would then mean 170s were used on the line in question rather than 185s. (Although, it may slow down the service a bit too much if it had to go to Stockport then to Stalybridge.) If that happened they could look at running a 185 every 15 minutes from Manchester Piccadilly to York which would be an improvement on the current timetable pattern where there are 3 trains per hour with a half hour gap between two of them. (With the Hull service being a fifth train every hour)