16:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Thameslink: 2 steps forward, 1 step backward ?

Old 27th May 2008, 19:51

Thumbs up Thameslink: 2 steps forward, 1 step backward ?

Yep, Thameslink Key Output Phase Zero appears to have been set back at least 3 months due to delays in rotation of stock between FCC/Southeastern/Southern. The target of running a Sevenoaks-Bedford service by Dec 2008 was always extremely optimistic....so no surprises there then

However Southeastern drivers have begun learning 319 traction at Cricklewood, and are route learning Blfrs-Bedfd so things are progressing a bit. Since both competencies only last for 6 months, Southeastern will have to build refreshers into their roster for those first drivers learning now.

Additionally there's one Southern class 377 unit stabled at Bedford Traincare sidings. It's been doing route approval, and will soon start traction training for FCC drivers. It'll be a shock for those folks used to 319 dinosaur technology to have to learn CPBCs (Combined Power/Brake controller) and Mitrac computers. A mini adventure, some might say.

Old 29th May 2008, 21:00

Not sure I understand all of these different types, 319s and 377s - but it is nice to have some news straight from the cab, so to speak.

Maybe I need to get myself an "Ian Allen" for modern traction.
Old 29th May 2008, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
Maybe I need to get myself an "Ian Allen" for modern traction.
Try Traction Recognition by Colin J Marsden.
Old 30th May 2008, 11:27

Well, here's a couple of piccies which give the external views.

The train on the right of this pic is a 319...
http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...ld_Bangers.jpg

and this is a 377...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Station_03.JPG

The 319 is an early 1980s design, with separate handles for power and brake on a flat desk in front of you.

The 377 is late 1990's technology with a combined power/brake 'sidestick', GPS satellite technology overseeing door releases, and a Mitrac computer controlling train functions and diagnostic.

(NB: I'm not being a Luddite over this. Progress marches on and we have to adapt to survive - personally I love a technical challenge and fresh ideas, but I do feel a little sympathy for the less computer-literate drivers out there)
Old 3rd June 2008, 21:00

Thanks Foghut. It's all as mysterious to me as Southern Railway steam locomotive reference letters are!
Old 1st March 2009, 15:08

Question Thameslink

Following the opening of the new St Pancras International Thameslink station, is it planned to build a direct connection to the ECML?

Is this possible? If so, where would it be?

Tim Young
Old 1st March 2009, 20:20

Yes indeed, one of the key output strategies is to run trains from Brighton (etc) to Peterborough - but don't hold your breath, it's not due until 2015 !!

If you've been down to St Pancras International Low Level, at the Country End you'll have seen the two tunnel mouths for the ECML links. IIRC they come up somewhere north of the Grand Union - possibly here... http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.53....8&r=0&src=msl

Whilst we're speaking of the Thameslink project, the Sevenoaks route is about to be invaded by 319 units later this month when at last trains run through to St Albans, Luton & Bedford.

Just like the old days, ho hum.

Last edited by Flying Pig; 1st March 2009 at 20:22.