06:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Events & Dates for your Diary

'BEATING BEECHING'- BBC WALES 6th and 13th DEC 2011

Old 25th November 2011, 12:18

'BEATING BEECHING'- BBC WALES 6th and 13th DEC 2011

Dear All,

I just wanted to let you all know of a new documentary that will be airing on Tuesday 6th December, 7.30 and Tuesday the 13th December, 7.30 on BBC WALES, called 'Beating Beeching'.

50 years ago almost everyone in Wales lived in sight and sound of steam trains. They were part of the fabric of everyday life. Then in the early 1960s, chairman of British Railways Dr Richard Beeching, took an axe to the rail system of Wales. Within a few years his plans for modernisation and efficiency closed hundreds of branch lines, stations and tunnels. And steam power was scrapped in favour of diesel. But Beeching had not reckoned on the passion for steam trains amongst the people of Wales.
In 1975, just 8 years after the last steam engine ran on British Rail, a group of enthusiasts started the Llangollen Railway. Other enthusiasts, like amateur cameraman Jim Clemens, kept the spirit of steam alive by filming branch lines before they closed. Much of this rare footage has never been seen on television before. By weaving it together with images from heritage railways and memories of the last heyday of steam in Wales, this is the story of a world almost lost forever to Dr Beeching.

The first episode, ‘A Passion For Steam’ (BBC WALES Tuesday 6th December 2011, 7.30pm) is a celebration of the heyday of steam in Wales, in which we use some rare colour footage, not previously seen on TV before combined with the memories of passengers and railwaymen from the golden age of steam.

Programme two, ‘Steam’s Glorious Past’ (BBC WALES Tuesday 13th December 2011, 7.30pm) features interviews with the last generation of Welsh steam railwaymen and visits the heritage railways that keep their glorious past alive.

I hope you can all watch it, it will be fantastic treat for all those who love steam railways and yearn for a return to the days when almost every town and village was served by it's own branch line.

Best wishes

Old 25th November 2011, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by testimonyfilms View Post
Dear All,

I just wanted to let you all know of a new documentary that will be airing on Tuesday 6th December, 7.30 and Tuesday the 13th December, 7.30 on BBC WALES, called 'Beating Beeching'.

50 years ago almost everyone in Wales lived in sight and sound of steam trains. They were part of the fabric of everyday life. Then in the early 1960s, chairman of British Railways Dr Richard Beeching, took an axe to the rail system of Wales. Within a few years his plans for modernisation and efficiency closed hundreds of branch lines, stations and tunnels. And steam power was scrapped in favour of diesel. But Beeching had not reckoned on the passion for steam trains amongst the people of Wales.
In 1975, just 8 years after the last steam engine ran on British Rail, a group of enthusiasts started the Llangollen Railway. Other enthusiasts, like amateur cameraman Jim Clemens, kept the spirit of steam alive by filming branch lines before they closed. Much of this rare footage has never been seen on television before. By weaving it together with images from heritage railways and memories of the last heyday of steam in Wales, this is the story of a world almost lost forever to Dr Beeching.

The first episode, ‘A Passion For Steam’ (BBC WALES Tuesday 6th December 2011, 7.30pm) is a celebration of the heyday of steam in Wales, in which we use some rare colour footage, not previously seen on TV before combined with the memories of passengers and railwaymen from the golden age of steam.

Programme two, ‘Steam’s Glorious Past’ (BBC WALES Tuesday 13th December 2011, 7.30pm) features interviews with the last generation of Welsh steam railwaymen and visits the heritage railways that keep their glorious past alive.

I hope you can all watch it, it will be fantastic treat for all those who love steam railways and yearn for a return to the days when almost every town and village was served by it's own branch line.

Best wishes
will love to watch it but cannnot get bbc wales on tv will have to try it on laptop
Old 25th November 2011, 17:19

Beating beeching bbc 2 wales (sky 991)

Just to let you all know it will going out on BBC 2 WALES (Sky 991)
Sorry for forgetting that vital information in the last post.

With best wishes
Old 27th November 2011, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by testimonyfilms View Post
Just to let you all know it will going out on BBC 2 WALES (Sky 991)
Or if you're a cheapskate like me and don't wish to add to Mr Murdoch's millions, BBC2 Wales can be found on channel 971 on Freesat.

I shall warm up the valves on the HDR thingumyjig.

Old 28th November 2011, 09:04

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
Or if you're a cheapskate like me and don't wish to add to Mr Murdoch's millions, BBC2 Wales can be found on channel 971 on Freesat.

I shall warm up the valves on the HDR thingumyjig.

That'll teach me to put my trust in Richard Branson!
Old 28th November 2011, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post

[/B]I shall warm up the valves on the HDR thingumyjig.

I bet they are not as big as the ones in my hi-fi amplifier.

Old 28th November 2011, 21:05

Thanks for that info Testimonyfilms, I will be sure not miss it.
regards
Phil
Old 29th November 2011, 09:48

Help required......................I'm a Virgin Media customer, anyone know which channel number BBC2 Wales is on with Virgin.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:17

Watched this programme on BBC iplayer.Excellent.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.F.A.N. View Post
Watched this programme on BBC iplayer.Excellent.
How's that ?