16:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Hump marshalling yards.

Old 1st February 2021, 10:59

Hump marshalling yards.

Following on from discussions about the run away wagons at Toton, and about hump yards in general.

I found this old film about "railways at March" about the railway town of March and the Whitemoor marshalling yards, the largest in Europe at one time. It also had a very large loco allocation at the shed on site.There is also mention of the horrific explosion at Soham during WW2, the train was crewed by March men.

The film and sound quality are of the period, but it's of an age that's long gone.

"A history of the Whitemoor Marshalling Yards at March in Cambridgeshire. At one point during World war Two these were the biggest Marshalling Yards in Europe. The video was recorded in 1992 and includes many interviews with the men who worked in the yards. Hump Shunting was used to sort the wagons into trains for London, East Anglia and the North."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD8YosxWRu0&t=6s

Last edited by pre65; 1st February 2021 at 11:02.
Old 1st February 2021, 21:18

I hadn’t thought about it before, but I must have been confusing a marshalling yard with a junction. Back in the day, next to Clapham and one in America, Bescot was claimed to be the third biggest junction in the world. I would have thought Birmingham New Street would have more lines and destinations passing through?