20:23

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Events & Dates for your Diary

Bewdley Steam

Old 21st April 2015, 11:50

Bewdley Steam

A big hello to everyone
Would welcome advice from members

We are presently refurbing a house in the beautiful town of Bewdley
We occupy a unique position overlooking the Severn Valley station, so trains can be viewed at your leisure drawing into the station ie not flying past
We have the opportunity to put in a large viewing window, sash drop down window or inward opening doors with juliet balcony..What would you recommend for the full viewing experience?YOUR VIEWS MOST WELCOME
This has been used as a bedroom in the past but there are another 3 bedrooms in this quirky house built in 1841 originally part of the Great Western real ale bar next door
The main problem with the house is my brother does not see the potential or recognise the romance that goes with steam. I down tools when the trains arrive as i feel it is magical
I would like to ask the question, Would the likes of steam enthusiasts bearing in mind spouses may not be on board be genuinely interested and attracted to such a property or am I wide of the mark?

I would like to hold an exclusive open day for enthusiasts when the house come cottage is further down the line before going on the general market. The envisaged sale price will be 225k

If you are genuinely interested, please let me know, I will post photos at a later date as project develops but can send pictures of station view from house

Last edited by Bewdley Steam; 22nd April 2015 at 10:48.
Old 21st April 2015, 14:32

Hi BS, and welcome to the forum.

So if I understand correctly, you are refurbishing the house in order to sell it and you are wondering if putting in a viewing window which wll give good views of the railway would enhance the sale ?

Well if it were my project I would be fundamentally interested in whether doing so increased the value of the property by more than what it costs. Although Estate Agents are viewed as objects of hate by many people, I've met some who really knew their subject. My suggestion would be to bring in a few rival agents and get their opinions. My guess is that they will say that you probably won't see a return on the money, though it would probably make the house more 'marketable'.

IME, when it comes to asking people you know....many people will tell you that you have a great idea and be very enthusiastic for you to spend your money - but when you actually ask them if they would like to buy it they all stare at their boots.

Or I could be completely wrong - it happens regularly.

Anyhow, I'm sure others on her will share their thoughts with you - in fact you could even set up a poll if you like to get an idea of peoples' feelings.

And make sure you let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes, John
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:42

Hi John, a very reasoned answer

Many Thanks and would welcome others thoughts please
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:06

Hi Bewdley Steam and welcome to the forum.
Very interesting question and as an avid steamhead, I would love to be close to a line like the SVR. I actually like the idea of a balcony overlooking the railway, however does that mean I would also be looking over or into other peoples gardens or windows? Is it a clear unobstructed view?
If you cant get a railway enthusiast interested then will these modifications also appeal to the wider public. Families or couples?
Anyway good luck and hope you are successful
Cheers
Phil
Old 23rd April 2015, 08:29

My feeling is that you are creating a feature that will appeal to a minority group (home seeker in Bewdley area that is a railway enthusiast). Would the view appeal to someone who doesn't share our enthusiasm? If it extends beyond it would be a real plus point though maybe not a money maker.
Richard.