11:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello, & can you help? wakefield /leeds area

Old 24th February 2010, 09:33

Lightbulb Hello, & can you help? wakefield /leeds area

Hi,
I am a manager of a home for people with learning disabilities in the wakefield area and have recently found out that one of our residents used to spend time with his father looking at trains and engines ( is that the right termanology!!??) and it appears he has a great knowledge and interest in taking this up again. We would love to support him to do this and i was wondering if you could give any advice on where we can go in the wakefield /leeds area to supprt him in this??

Old 24th February 2010, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhouse View Post
Hi,
I am a manager of a home for people with learning disabilities in the wakefield area and have recently found out that one of our residents used to spend time with his father looking at trains and engines ( is that the right terminology!!??) and it appears he has a great knowledge and interest in taking this up again. We would love to support him to do this and i was wondering if you could give any advice on where we can go in the wakefield /leeds area to support him in this??
Hi there

Sorry I can't help personally (someone here will I'm sure ) but I would just like to say how heartwarming it is that you are trying to help this person achieve a little pleasure in life.

Thank you.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:34
Station Manager

Quote:
Hi,
I am a manager of a home for people with learning disabilities in the wakefield area and have recently found out that one of our residents used to spend time with his father looking at trains and engines ( is that the right termanology!!??) and it appears he has a great knowledge and interest in taking this up again. We would love to support him to do this and i was wondering if you could give any advice on where we can go in the wakefield /leeds area to supprt him in this??
Good on you ,what a nice thing to do i am not from that area but you could try to talk to the Station Mangers (i think they would be listed on network rails website )for the area i am sure they would like to help you out,and it would be good public relations for there company.

All the best and good luck,Ian
Old 24th February 2010, 11:07

Hello & welcome to the forum. If it's steam that you're after, the Middleton Railway is at Moor Road, Leeds - www.middletonrailway.org.uk - I've never been but it could be worth a look. If Keighley isn't too far outside your area, then the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway - www.kwvr.co.uk - is definately worth a visit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by TRP; 24th February 2010 at 11:09.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:09

Hi Woodhouse
Sorry i cant help you either but what a wonderful thing you are doing to give someone a bit of pleasure that are not as fortunate as others.

Good one and all the best.
ccmmick.

Old 24th February 2010, 12:17
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Woodhouse.

It is amazing how many people with special needs have a facination with Railways. You may well find that once you start taking one of your residents out that several of others might want to join in as well!

I would agree with TRP that the Middleton Railway and the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway would be worth a visit. Heritage Railways may well have more time for you especially at quiet times.

If you go to this site:

http://www.heritagerailways.com/

and then click on UK and Ireland Heritage Railways, you will find a list of the heritage railways in the UK. If you click on the name of the railway it will take you to their website for details of when they are open, special events etc. Current copies of the magazines "Steam Railway" and "Heritage Railway" give you similar information.

Start with the two we have mentioned and then it depends on how far you can travel. Obviously the National Railway Museum is not too far away and could be combined with a railway journey to get there.

Hope this is helpful and have fun. I'm sure you will. You might get hooked as well!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:54

Smile Thanks!!!!!!!!

Thank you all, I will certainly give these places a try
Old 24th February 2010, 16:27
Registered Member

Woodhouse, welcome to the forum, keep up the good work.

Good on "yer".

Old 24th February 2010, 20:12

Quote:
Hi,
kirkgate station bit c****y but plenty trains
Old 24th February 2010, 20:33
Registered Member

Welcome to the Forum Woodhouse.Good luck with your search in the Wakefield /Leeds area

Last edited by locojoe; 24th February 2010 at 20:44.