23:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Chiltern in hunt for 100mph locomotives.....

Old 1st July 2012, 21:49

Chiltern in hunt for 100mph locomotives.....

Article in Bicester advertiser 21.6.12 with above headline.

' Chiltern railways is inviting tenders for new 100mph locomotives for use on it's express services from late 2014.
In an official notice the company said it wanted to lease or hire between 8 and 13 locomotives with the first 7 to be ready for service by by the end of December 2014. Chiltern currently hires 6 class 67 from DBS to operate it's silver liveried mainline trains between London Marylebone and Birmingham and rush hour queue buster services between Banbury and London.
While Chiltern first introduced locomotive powered trains as a stop gap to cope with growing passenger numbers it now expects to operate them on a long term basis, with the Mk3 coaches it uses undergoing a £6.5m life extension programme, including the fitting of powered passenger doors. It also has a pool of spare coaches available to lengthen the trains if necessary. Managers now want to see if modern locomotive designs are more cost effective than the class 67s which date back to the late 1990's.
The company said " Locomotive technology has progressed in the meantime and some of the newer designs now in service or under construction overseas are capable of being modified for UK use. We are keen to secure the best deal for our future fleet and will compare the continued use of existing locomotives against procuring a new build fleet. Among the likely contenders for the contract is the Spanish built Vossloh Eurolight locomotive. UK railfreight service DRS ordered 15 of the locomotives earlier this year'

Perrhaps the start of things to come ??? I do hope so.

Chiltern took over the 67 and the Mk3 stock from the now defunct Wrexham and Shropshire. I travelled on the Wrexham and shropshire and the upgraded Mk3 stock is fabulous. You forget how spoilt we all were in them compared to the cramped tubes we have to put up with on most of our journeys these days.

Some thing to look forward to I hope.

Dave M

Old 2nd July 2012, 20:00

This is interesting. Whilst I love the comfort of a Mk 3 carriage, the trend has been towards multiple units because of the flexibility they offer (and there are various ones that can offer 100mph capability) so I wonder what Chiltern's thinking is here? Keep us posted if you hear any more.
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
This is interesting. Whilst I love the comfort of a Mk 3 carriage, the trend has been towards multiple units because of the flexibility they offer (and there are various ones that can offer 100mph capability) so I wonder what Chiltern's thinking is here? Keep us posted if you hear any more.

Class 68 perchance as a hire in

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:28
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
Class 68 perchance as a hire in
See latest copy of Rail.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
See latest copy of Rail.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

LOL john

Don't subscribe to it whats happened has the order died again ???

Old 3rd July 2012, 00:09

i have to say i dont use or know much about the new trains but i under stand the dmu's/emu's have more the one engin motor but if its in for repairs all the seats are out of use so wuold a loco hauled train be better as only the loco is out of use but the stock can still be in use makeing money.? or dose the cost of the two vs one make a defance
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
LOL john

Don't subscribe to it whats happened has the order died again ???

to correct myself I have checked out the info the order has now been confirmed for the initial number of 15 loco's and the Railway Clearing house has reserved 50 numbers for more loco's