11:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Whats Your favourite Class of Diesel Loco & Why ?

Old 23rd March 2011, 17:50

Class 50 for me, when I got interested in railways again in my thirties I had loads of trips behind them especially Salisbury Exeter. They were geared for 100mph which they often exceeded on that route.

Last edited by Belmont Road; 23rd March 2011 at 17:52.
Old 24th March 2011, 13:12

Class 31 I just think they look the part plus becuse I grew up with them Between Liverpool & Blackpool on the North West Express.
Old 24th April 2011, 19:32

My favourites were the 50s, primarily because of their sound. It was hard to choose from the English Electric thoroughbreds, because they all had that deep bass, and the 37s had/have a great dynamism with their abrupt bursts of noise from a standing start. But the 50s had a distinctive and defined thud at full power, which never left me in any doubt about what I was hearing, even a mile or so away from the line, at my home.

I was lucky enough to know, and travel in the company of the 50s in the late '70s, before their refurbishment. During '78 and '79 the 50s were still as built, and so still had those droning air-systems which earned the class its 'Hoover' nickname. Their reliability was abysmal, depot staff hated their complexity, and much of the enthusiast community had animosity towards them because they'd replaced the 'Westerns'. But that made them more exciting for me. The 'Hoovers' were the villains of the express passenger scene, and I loved that. Their unpopularity of course also meant that a few friends and I could go and chase them in peace, knowing we'd almost always get the front seats/windows when boarding the trains. And because there were so few 50s in service at any given time (only just over a third of the class at one low-point prior to refurb!), their appearances even on some of their own booked workings could be quite sparse. The resultant "will it / won't it?" buzz only served to increase the excitement.

One of the most spectacular trains for Class 50 operation in the late '70s was the 1S19 overnight Bristol - Glasgow sleeper service (which the WR loco would power as far as Birmingham). The stock load was very heavy and therefore the service would stop at Bromsgrove for banking on the Lickey. At the time, banking power was invariably provided by two 37s. So, an unrefurbished 'Hoover' on the front, sixteen or so coaches, and two 'Syphons' on the rear - from a standstill, up the Lickey bank. Anyone in the vicinity of Bromsgrove station in the run-up to 11pm would certainly not be forgetting that spectacle in the hurry!

Last edited by Virtual Bonehead; 24th April 2011 at 20:55. Reason: can't spell
Old 25th April 2011, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramleyman View Post
My Favourite has to be the Class 55 Deltic, as to me they purr like a cat, followed by the 31, 47, then 66. for reasons I know not. As for the 37's, YUK! I saw so much of them from Kings Lynn when their main loco, I began to hate them, as I thought them to be Ugly, plus other areas had many other classes, and to me, Kings Lynn was the last place in the UK to make the change to the class 47's that to me were Far more attractive.
After steam my favs were Deltics, though I did have a liking for the type 4 Peak class and the 47's (they always looked neat and modern)
Old 26th April 2011, 19:17

it would have to be a class 20 in br blue (sorry) being a child at the time i thought they allways seemd happy going around in two's i was readins thomas at the time. and seeing all the class 24,25,and the odd 26-27 at vic's of leicester being cut up so i like them too.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:48

My favorior loco was the EE Type 1 (20) a good quality compact loco. Low maintenance and they've lasted a long time. Pitty about the signal cab but in pairs the had a very high tractive effort, the max speed of 75mph never seemed to be a problem.
Old 11th June 2011, 08:44

Mine would have to be Deltics. I was lucky enough to see them a few times at Kings Cross before withdrawal, and rode on the Deltic Broadsman behind 55009 in December 1981. I now try and ride behind one on the East Lancs or another nearby line whenever possible. It has always felt special just being in the presence of one. Amazing looking and even more amazing sounding. I like lots of other diesel classes, especially the big stuff (eg Peaks & Hoovers) but nothing can match a Deltic.
Old 11th June 2011, 12:37

Any of this lot!!!!! http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...imageuser=2802

Regards, 62440.
Old 11th June 2011, 17:29

I got to like the 40's, and the Deltics.
Pity more of them weren't spared.
Hated them when steam was king- saddened when their turn came round.
mickey
Old 11th June 2011, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by springs branch mickey View Post
I got to like the 40's, and the Deltics.
Pity more of them weren't spared.
Hated them when steam was king- saddened when their turn came round.
mickey
Like you I hated diesel when they took over from steam and then when their turn came! It makes you wonder what the kids of today will love when thier turn comes? Cant see the modern stuff having the same appeal.
Regards
Phil