13:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Blackpool trams

Old 13th March 2010, 18:31

Cheers Guys, I think I'll need to get another trip in before its too late............

Old 13th March 2010, 21:10

To me the trams were never the same after they replaced the toot toot horns.The old seaside town atmosphere died that year.
Old 14th March 2010, 09:45

http://www.tramway.com/fts/fts_passenger1.html
Thought you may find this of interest,
mickey
Old 14th March 2010, 09:56

http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/whatson/...ooltramway.htm
Info of anniversary event.
mickey
Old 14th March 2010, 12:16

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Thanks for the info Mickey, might be worth going along for some of these events. It would be a pity to see the old trams replaced, but I suppose the disabled accessability is a strong argument for the changes. It would be ideal if they could run the old uns as well as the new uns then everybody would be happy. Anybody who has been to San Fransisco will know about the trams that run along the harbour there. They are fantastic restoration jobs from all over the world, including Blackpool, and they are all running in their own liveries
Old 14th March 2010, 15:34

Quote:
It would be ideal if they could run the old uns as well as the new uns then everybody would be happy
They are.

"“By Easter 2012 we will have ultra modern trams providing an efficient public transport network for both residents and visitors without sacrificing our wonderful heritage trams.”"

The old trams are staying during the summer, between the pleasure beach and the tower. Just people won't listen to me for some reason. That isn't to say all of them are, some are being scrapped, some sold, but they're still going to be around for a long time to come in some form, a more senseable one.
Old 14th March 2010, 17:22

Deathbyteacup.
I want you to be right, my question was basically who would miss the old era?
I know that change must come.There is talk of running the new trams through to Preston. I hope many of the old trams will go to good homes.
The reason I am concerned is because, like in the steam era, once a vehicle is scrapped it's gone. (I know they can be rebuilt), but the majority wouldn't be. Trams and metros are not my speciality. I just like the old stuff.

mickey
Old 14th March 2010, 20:01

I agree with Deathbyteacup, they are still going to run heritage trams during the season over the stated area. They will recover the sevicable components from the worst ones before scrapping them to ensure thoose remaining have a future. I go most years and find the older trams are mostly appreciated by tourists compared to the modern ones.
Regards

www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk
Old 15th March 2010, 00:38

But as somebody said earlier who is going to use the new trams? I suspect this modernisation may be a bit of a white elelephant and when the bean counters see that nobody is using the new trams (Blackpool Corporation run a frequent bus service shadowing their tram route) I can see the whole route used by the new trams closed, and a very limited heritage service from Pleasure Beach to The Tower only running in the Summer.
Old 15th March 2010, 09:35

They did re body some of the Ol trams with Bus Type Bodies which where really cramped in side.

But im affraid I think its going to end up like the Manchester Metro Link a Compleate Mess.