07:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

manchester metrolink

Old 30th April 2010, 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
For tram trains to work in this case, there would have to be point rearrangements at Altrincham and at Skelton junction.
The old BR points that allowed diesels to go from platform 3 at Altrincham and the current Metrolink platform at Navigation Rd and electrics to do the opposite remain and are used when maintainence vehicles need to access the Metrolink section.

Old 30th April 2010, 17:27

These are quite old I understand, so would they not have to be replaced to a suitable passenger standard? Then again, there is 100 year old track around the network if you know where to find them.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltskog36abba View Post
was in victoria today at 6pm on a busy platform,was hoping that a new tram wouldnt turn up as they are tiny compared to the older units,what a difference from a few months ago-i was bashing them whenever i could,suppose they will be doubled up tho as more units enter service,find them smooth enough tho.
Yeah these are a lot more common around now, they seem to be all over the network. Would be interesting to know the demand use outside of the Manchester city centre area, possibly might be much less outside of that zone, in terms of utilising the new vehicles.
Old 1st May 2010, 21:28

metrolink bans mobility scooters

according to the manchester evening news,motability scooters are too big for the new trams,therefore they are banning them from the network-including the older trams,i told my mother to leave hers at home today and had to use the push wheelchair,when on the tram a fella was on his scooter and said he intended to continue using it on metrolink..as its his only way of getting about,after 4 hours of pushing a wheelchair today,i can assure you i will be advising my mother to use hers again in future,of course its not advisable using one in rush hour,but surely disabled people have a right to travel?not everyone has someone to push them,an email to metrolink right away,
Old 2nd May 2010, 01:36

Just to clarify, the mobility scooters can fit just fine on the new trams, they've actually been banned from day one in conjunction with the "No Cycles" rule, for the same reason ("safety").

Personally I think the ban of both is daft.
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:21

To clarify further its for the safety of the other passengers rather than the scooter/bike users.
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:43
Registered Member

mobility scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faltskog36abba View Post
according to the manchester evening news,motability scooters are too big for the new trams,therefore they are banning them from the network-including the older trams,i told my mother to leave hers at home today and had to use the push wheelchair,when on the tram a fella was on his scooter and said he intended to continue using it on metrolink..as its his only way of getting about,after 4 hours of pushing a wheelchair today,i can assure you i will be advising my mother to use hers again in future,of course its not advisable using one in rush hour,but surely disabled people have a right to travel?not everyone has someone to push them,an email to metrolink right away,
I use a mobility scooter but still drive and I'm able to transport my scooter in the back of my car. Having said that many scooter users have to use public transport and some provision should be made to accomodate them on the new trams. It may be advisable in some cases for the scooter user to be accompanied by a helper when using the new trams. The ban is just another stupid Health and Safety rule.

Last edited by locojoe; 2nd May 2010 at 08:49.
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
A proper tram-train is able to run on the same line as DMUs and freight trains, as well as street sections. The tram-train trial between Rotherham and Sheffield will be running on the same line as freight.
As proper tram-trains are built to withstand contact with heavy rail trains does this therefore mean that they would not be able to share the off-street (higher speed) sections of Metrolink with conventional trams?
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:22

Well this part of the metrolink should not be a problem John. Class 66s, which are heavier by far than any tram train would be, have been used for maintainance so from a structural point of view things are fine.

I do see a big issue however, and that is the fact that there will be less of these than ordinary trams, so will have, by common sense more than two coaches. In the city centre I have trouble placing them, and it will in all likelyhood cause major disruption.

Noisy engines might cause problems in the city centre as well.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
As proper tram-trains are built to withstand contact with heavy rail trains does this therefore mean that they would not be able to share the off-street (higher speed) sections of Metrolink with conventional trams?
There in an inbetween weight class, higher than a trams 35-55ish tons but less than Sprinter,Pacer or other DMU/EMU at 70-120ish tons. Able to withstand a collision with a fast moving heavy train but light enough and with covered bogies for city running.

Its unlikely diesel versions would run in the UK like they do abroad, we would probably see dual voltage or hybrids which ran off a battery while in the city switching to a diesel to recharge in the country.