12:12

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Wrexham/Chester - London service ?

Old 30th July 2009, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midland Compound View Post
Sometimes there is a crew change at Preston, so maybe the buffet, err shop, reopened later ?
Yes possibly but it hadn't re-opened by the time I left the train at Warrington. (I still can't get used to calling it a shop )

Old 30th July 2009, 21:51

I think the earliest I've had a closed shop was on a Manchester bound train as far as Stafford after getting the shortly closing annoncement. Maybe they should slightly lower their prices, I'm sure it's like £1.70 for a cup of tea now, everyone just buys something before they board.
Old 1st August 2009, 08:16

I've always had the impression with Virgin (both West Coast and especially Cross Country when they ran it) that the catering was run for the convenience of the staff rather than the passenger (sorry, customer).

The facility used to shut early "for a stock take" a good half hour before reaching its destination or mid- journey for a crew change. They seemed to run out of the most popular products quite frequently and I lost count of the number of times that on their high tech trains, everything seemed to work but the hot water boiler.

On rare occasions when I travelled first class, refreshments were included but a lot of what was on offer was truly dreadful - airline style only much worse. I guess they had to include it in their ticket price because if they had charged separately, no-one would have bought it.
Old 1st August 2009, 22:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflector View Post
They seemed to run out of the most popular products quite frequently
You mean you actually bought something from them ?!
Old 1st August 2009, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflector View Post
On rare occasions when I travelled first class, refreshments were included but a lot of what was on offer was truly dreadful - airline style only much worse. I guess they had to include it in their ticket price because if they had charged separately, no-one would have bought it.
Can't be as bad as Continental Airlines "coffee" !!