02:50

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Bletchley flyover.

Old 18th February 2012, 10:54

Bletchley flyover.

Well,I have heard and indeed read recently, that so much money is being made available for the cross country line from Bletchley to Oxford to be opened again after all. These years using Bletchley flyover, a structure which stood the test of time since the 60s and is still in good "nick" today.The flyover was built in the latter days of steam and has never really been used to its capacity because under the beeching cuts the line it was built to serve was closed. But now ,what,50years later it is going to be offered a new lease of life.Great news, I hope they make a start soon, so that I see it in use before my time runs out.

Old 18th February 2012, 15:11

They have already run an NR test train over it with 2 class 37s. They may run another fairly soon, but I'm not too sure.
Its great to have you posting again.
Old 18th February 2012, 16:28

Hello mate, that is interesting, thanks for that.
Yes it is fantastic to be back, I missed it so much.

Old 20th February 2012, 12:52

I crossed Bletchley flyover just once on a special excursion in 1987, with a diesel locomotive hauling a rake of NSE liveried Mk 1 stock. The attached photo was taken as we crossed the flyover. I'm not aware that there have been many opportunities to repeat that journey since, so it's great news if there is actually the commitment to reopening the line. Am I right in believing that this would allow through running on to Bedford and is there any news on the more difficult challenge of reopening further towards Cambridge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg on Bletchley flyover.jpg (107.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 21st February 2012, 14:37

Well as you know the Bletchley Bedford service already operates on a regular service,but IDo believe there is talk or plans to upgrade the bletchley - Bedford section through to Cambridge to eventually take modern class 1 trains which will include the line to Oxford,but that is some way off but just to have the line open again will be great after all those years.

Old 2nd April 2012, 18:19

Living in Bicester - anything to do with this extension is reported widely. Bicester town station has been cleaned up since Chiltern took over the running from Oxford to Bicester Town, mainly to service the tourists going into Bicester Village shopping outlet, they have also increased the number of trains. They plan to open another station at Water Eaton (Between Oxford and Islip).

Attached link to Wikipedia which explains all.
CANT COME SOON ENOUGH FOR ME !!!!!!

Dave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_West_Rail_Link

Last edited by Dmart241; 2nd April 2012 at 18:21. Reason: Grammer
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:36

a Definate boon.

The re opening of that line, whenever it will be,will be a definate boon to a lot of communities, let alone the raiway system in general.

it was only yesterday that i had a close up look at the structure of the flyover at Bletchley from ground level and it really is in magnificent condition considering how old it is.

So I would imagine that the flyover is ready for business as soon as the traffic is ready.

Old 3rd April 2012, 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmart241 View Post
Attached link to Wikipedia which explains all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_West_Rail_Link
Thanks for posting this link. I didn't know that the government had actually approved the project at the end of last year, even if the forecast date for reopening isn't until 2017.

The usual lesson that government could do with learning -

so easy to close a railway
the "economies" of doing so turn out to be so small
so long and expensive to reopen it
Old 4th April 2012, 20:28

Is the track on the flyover up to fast passenger trains,?
If is has not been renewed during its period in mothballs it will be jointed and as it was a freight line originally I guess not fettled for high speed use
Old 10th April 2012, 22:06

East West route

I think it's great that this is being considered but I would have thought the extension to Cambridge is a far more difficult task. I regularly pass over parts of it & it's very disjointed. Some stations are still there & some sections of cutting or embankment between Sandy & Cambridge but joining them up looks to me to be difficult.
Graham

Last edited by graham9qh; 10th April 2012 at 22:10. Reason: unclear message