03:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

An unusual working.

Old 21st July 2010, 11:48
Registered Member

An unusual working.

On the 11th of August 1932 an unusual through locomotive working occurred.
A half day excursion from Avonmouth and local GWR stations in the Bristol area was worked through to Bournemouth by a GWR 4-4-0 locomotive No 3367 Evan Llewllyn.
The train first followed the West ofEngland main line to Highbridge, setting back there on to the Somerset and Dorset Burnham branch. Resumingforward running, the train recrossed the GW line and ran into Highbridge (S&D) station, there picking up quite a few local passengers. An LMS pilotman accompianied the GWR enginemen from Highbridge to Bournemouth and back.

I bet he was happy LOL.

Old 6th August 2010, 09:04

Smile

The best day of his railway life.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:33
Registered Member

I remember once when I was firing, we had a "SUPER D" to Banbury with a train of stone, anyway we were booked to go back light engine. When we got to Banbury, once the shunter had hooked off, we pulled clear of the train, and we were ready to get the road and go back Tender first.
Then my driver was asked if he could give a Western driver and his mate a ride to Leamington and drop them off there, I cant remember why they came with us instead of get the passenger, anyway my mate said yes come on then.
Now my mate was a"bit of a sod" for taking the "mick", so we started back and got this old "D" rolling and he "give it some jip", we were flying, the old engine was shaking and bumping and the Western driver said to my mate "Your gooin very faarst droiver", I think when we went past Fenny Compton Box the bobby must have wondered what the hell it was LOL,the Western fireman was holding on for dear life, so I said to my mate, "Any tea left mate" my mate looked at me and said I"ll have a drop more mate", when our "passengers" got off at Leamington I think they thought we were mad and should be locked up as we sipped at our tea and I swear blind that old "D" enjoyed that bit of a run.