11:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Brookside minaiture railway.

Old 10th January 2010, 12:56

Brookside minaiture railway.

Brookside minaiture railway near Poynton is my favourite small scale line.
I do realise that there has been an accident on the line which resulted in hospital visits for two children but on the whole the line is good.

Why is it so amazing?
The line goes round a garden centre and is 7.25 inch guage.
The line was recently extended to a mile in length as the garden centre expanded and now the line is being recognised as a needed transport link around the site.

It being so large that on the huge loop a new third single platform station has been constructed.
I have heard that new passenger vehicles with space for the shopping are being built and will certainly add a new feature.

This is probably the most amazing working railway in the world and to the smallest guage.
It takes about 10 minutes to get round none stop and 15 minutes if the trainstops at the stations.

Here is a guide.
The main station with an overall roof has three platforms and is situated at the car park and main entrance.
The first station along the route is single platform jsut afet a tunnel under the entrance roadhis is about a quarter of a mile along next you travel along the shed and summerhouse section and go over several level crossings each with a siren.

Now there is a unique rail/ path section about 50 yards long with tramway style track. A low running speed is applied.

Now in a cutting if you look to your right you see where the picnic area was- now converted to sidings for the extension.
On the left is the engine sheds and workshopste large.

Now you leave the old section for the new section over the river and includes a waterfall and second tunnel and rockery.

The new station when I last went had yet to open because of stock being put in place which would include rockery plants.

This station has delighful benches and a small shelter and is well cared for.
This is about half way (.5 a mile)
now you travel next to the river past the real standard guage signal box and enter woods.

Now the track doubles and two bridges over the river take you back to the central station where the journey began.

There is a full size andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST on display and a nice restraunt which is open all day.
Well worth a visit.
Now you leave the new section and cross a river

Old 10th January 2010, 13:39

Here is some pictures.

http://www.klondyke.co.uk/files/imag.../brookside.jpg

This one is of central station:
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/7719035.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/...335aca6427.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2552/...84b48d3a9c.jpg

PS: the second part of the description should include another tunnel AFTER the third station as well as the one before.
The above pic shows this.
The website has not been updated to show the extension so still says the line is half a mile.
Please note that tickets can only be obtained at central station (also known as brookside/ brookside central and poynton brookside and then the other stations can be used when wished.
Old 10th January 2010, 22:04

We haven't visited Brookside since the line was extended but we will certainly be paying a visit when the weather improves. Even if the trains aren't running it's a great day out with plenty to see (including lots of railway relics) and the food in the Romany restaurant is fantastic. Is the model shop still there?
P.S. Did they recover the track etc. from the closed garden centre in Knutsford in order to carry out the extension?

Last edited by swisstrains; 10th January 2010 at 22:06.
Old 10th January 2010, 23:05

Without sounding ignorant, as far as I know, this is near Chester. My sister lives that way, as I did for a short spell in the late 1970's, but can't recall this area. Any website please?
Old 11th January 2010, 07:16

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Thanks for the info SFE, I will certainly have a look when I'm down that way. Try this website.......................

http://www.brooksidegardencentre.com/
Old 11th January 2010, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
We haven't visited Brookside since the line was extended but we will certainly be paying a visit when the weather improves. Even if the trains aren't running it's a great day out with plenty to see (including lots of railway relics) and the food in the Romany restaurant is fantastic. Is the model shop still there?
P.S. Did they recover the track etc. from the closed garden centre in Knutsford in order to carry out the extension?
I am not quite sure of what garden centre in Knutsford you are talking about swiss as the town is garden centre heaven.
The model shop is there and I recently bought a guards van from them.
You ay wish to knwo that the second station just after the tunnels can be stopped at.
I did say this but the station is not advertised as a stop at all but if you stand on the platform and put your hand out or ask the driver before the trip starts then the train stops.
Thats what happened when I was there anyway.

The new bit is very good and I think the station is open now.

As the central station has four platforms there may be yet another line but this time end to end and use the turntable which has not been used since the original loop was finished.
Old 11th January 2010, 17:54

When I next get to visit my Sister, I will have to visit this as well. Thank you for the info.
Old 11th January 2010, 18:20

I am not sure whether it has reopened after the accident.
Better ring them before you visit.
Old 11th January 2010, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
I am not quite sure of what garden centre in Knutsford you are talking about swiss as the town is garden centre heaven.
The original owners of Brookside also ran Hills Garden Centre which was situated on the A50 going into Knutsford. They also had a miniature railway at Hills but nowhere near as extensive as the Brookside one. When the company went bankrupt the Brookside Garden Centre was taken over by Klondyke/Strikes but I'm pretty sure that the Hills Garden Centre remained closed. Maybe Klondyke/Strikes obtained the track from Hills and used it to extend the Brookside system?
Old 12th January 2010, 16:41

No in a word.
I visit Hills more often than Brookside and there never ceases to be trains running.
The website is still going althought it has not been updated for a year or two.
I was there last summer to get a new shed and an orange tree. While I was there I had a ride (or ten) on the railway behind the steam loco.
Hills is smaller with only a two platform station and no halts but the two platforms serve two loops now.

When did the company go bellyup?