19:11

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello!

Old 7th June 2010, 10:46

Hello!

Hello to Anyone Out There! I registered last night and this is my first post, if it works. I am 60 years old and I have retired from work. My interest in railways was stimulated by my father who bought me railway books and took me for walks to the local station or railway bridges etc. where we would would watch trains. This was in Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire where I grew up, and it was inevitable I suppose that my interests became the GWR, British Railways and British Rail Western Region.
I have lived in Barnsley since 1975. I have always had a model railway in some form, well almost. Began with a Hornby Clockwork Type 51 train set, No. 50153 with a rake of three red/cream coaches. Later, for another Christmas I was lucky enough to get a Hornby Dublo 2 Rail set, "The Red Dragon". The loco, 4075 Cardiff Castle is still capable of a respectable performance around my layout. Railways took a back seat for a while as I became a teenager and became interested in rugby, music and girls, but as a student travelling from Pembrokeshire to Bristol for three years I did take notice of the locos around at the time and admired the chunky but smart Hymeks, and of course the Westerns were the class act of the time. For many years it was this diesel hydraulic era that I modelled, but later added some of the 47's and 50's plus the odd Class 33.
When we moved house I looked for a property that would give me room to build a new railway when I retired. Found one with an old brick built outhouse. New door and some double glazed windows and it was ready to go. I have built a layout featuring the station of St. Erth, this being inspired by the real thing rather an accurate model of it, i.e. a country junction where mainline and local passenger traffic would call. I run GWR and BR liveried steam locos and coaching stock plus prototypical goods traffic.
I read about the GWR, Western Region and also books dealing with the area around Barnsley and Yorkshire. I also enjoy watching steam DVD's of the same areas. I am well placed to visit the KWVR, the NYMR, and the East Lancs. My favourite is the Great Central, and recently I enjoyed a driver experience day there. I am also a member of the Great Western Society at Didcot. That's all about me and my railway interests. I enjoy reading the posts and responses on the site, and although I may not be a prolific writer I do hope to join in sometimes. I do have one question at the moment, and I am hoping someone in the Railway forum will be able to help me where the Railway Museum at York could not. I will get round to that later. Best Wishes. Rivo

Old 7th June 2010, 11:09
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Rivo. Look forward to your posts. Looks like you have a lot to contrbute.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 7th June 2010, 12:00
Registered Member

Hello

Hello and Welcome to the Forum Rivo.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:03
Station Manager

Hello Rivo and welcome to the forum, enjoy and all the best.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:04

hello

welcome to the forum Rivo, it's a great site. Plenty of others with model layouts on here.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:08

croeso i'r fforwm Boyo!
Old 7th June 2010, 20:17
Station Manager

Hello Rivo and welcome to the railway Forum. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your driving experience day. There is nothing quite like the first time you open the regulator and set a loco in motion. I still remember the first time I did it, even though I was only a small boy at the time.