18:04

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Replacement of 142, 143 and 144?

Old 2nd February 2007, 18:58

Replacement of 142, 143 and 144?

As an almost daily traveller of the now almost 1/4 of a century old 14X series (namely 142/143 on ATW) i'd love to known when they're being replaced - and possibly what with?

I can't think of any current DMUs suited more perfectly than the 142/143/150 used on south wales commuter lines, so what would fit the bill and when would you more informed folk expect they will be replaced? (I read somewhere that they could be in service for another 10 years!)

Old 2nd February 2007, 22:12

Hello Folios,
I don't know the answer to your question but do you think they need to be replaced?
I know that many people don't like them but as an occasional traveller on "Northern Trains" 142's I find them quite acceptable for short stop/start journeys.
Like you, I would be interested to know what plans there are to replace them......if any!!
Old 4th February 2007, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Hello Folios,
I don't know the answer to your question but do you think they need to be replaced?
I know that many people don't like them but as an occasional traveller on "Northern Trains" 142's I find them quite acceptable for short stop/start journeys.
Like you, I would be interested to know what plans there are to replace them......if any!!
They're alright for the city line/coryton line (I live a two minute walk away from Danescourt station, so it's only about a 10 minute ride into central) - but at the other end of the spectrum as I mentioned in another post, the other week they used a 142 that shouldn't have been in service from cardiff to maesteg.

After Bridgend the track goes onto the maesteg branch line, and part of that track is of terrible quality.. the bumps can be felt quite strongly even in a 158, and to ride that track in a 142 quite frankly felt dangerous, all in all it's not that I feel they need to be replaced right now but when would you more knowledgeable rail enthusiasts think they would be replaced and with what?
Old 4th February 2007, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folos View Post
......................After Bridgend the track goes onto the maesteg branch line, and part of that track is of terrible quality.. the bumps can be felt quite strongly even in a 158, and to ride that track in a 142 quite frankly felt dangerous, .......................

Yes,
When I said that the 142's were acceptable for short journeys I should have added "on good track"
Old 7th February 2007, 08:38

Class 142/144

I remember going back a few years now, just before the summer session of loco haulage commenced in 2002

ATW decided to roster a "Pacer" on the 1205 Swansea - Fishguard Harbour, how everyone got on I don't know but I found it to be very comical, going up the incline out of Swansea and also on the single track section from Clarbeston Road to Fishguard Harbour which was then bolted track (don't know if its still is )

Still I must have been the only passenger with a smile after being on it for nearly an hour and a half

Best Wishes

James
Old 7th February 2007, 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by James60059 View Post
I remember going back a few years now, just before the summer session of loco haulage commenced in 2002

ATW decided to roster a "Pacer" on the 1205 Swansea - Fishguard Harbour, how everyone got on I don't know but I found it to be very comical, going up the incline out of Swansea and also on the single track section from Clarbeston Road to Fishguard Harbour which was then bolted track (don't know if its still is )

Still I must have been the only passenger with a smile after being on it for nearly an hour and a half

Best Wishes

James
They had a 142 from Cardiff to Swansea the other night, was absolutely packed to the rafters (was 5.30pm).. on leaving central my train (city line) ran along side it for about a minute and they didn't look like happy bunnies
Old 9th February 2007, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folos View Post
They had a 142 from Cardiff to Swansea the other night, was absolutely packed to the rafters (was 5.30pm).. on leaving central my train (city line) ran along side it for about a minute and they didn't look like happy bunnies
I have been in a similar situation myself, this is usual coming in and out of Manchester, I was arriving on a not so busy pendolino into Piccadilly, and as some of you will know the VT services use platforms 5 to 8 usually, and the Norhtern rail terminating serviuces use platforms 1 to 4, so arriving beside us was a 142 that looked quite busy, Im pretty sure there were people standing.

Remember this happening another time on a 390 when it was 'racing' against a 185 into Piccadilly.
Old 10th February 2007, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
I have been in a similar situation myself, this is usual coming in and out of Manchester, I was arriving on a not so busy pendolino into Piccadilly, and as some of you will know the VT services use platforms 5 to 8 usually, and the Norhtern rail terminating serviuces use platforms 1 to 4, so arriving beside us was a 142 that looked quite busy, Im pretty sure there were people standing.

Remember this happening another time on a 390 when it was 'racing' against a 185 into Piccadilly.
Actually I discovered today that the ATW service to Swansea only is normally operated by a 153 (went on the 15:14 one today), so it wouldn't have made much of a difference
Old 11th February 2007, 22:04

Question

I had seen it reported that Arriva were looking at class 170's with a lower gear ratio and probable 3+2 seating. This could work i think. Or how abouts a siemans product - fair enough the 185's are extremely heavy but surely something simular and lighter could be produced for ATW Northern and FGW?
Old 21st February 2007, 13:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222007 View Post
I had seen it reported that Arriva were looking at class 170's with a lower gear ratio and probable 3+2 seating. This could work i think. Or how abouts a siemans product - fair enough the 185's are extremely heavy but surely something simular and lighter could be produced for ATW Northern and FGW?
Found it on wikipedia -

Quote:
Most Pacers are over 20 years old, with some over 25 years. Train Operating Companies (TOCs) are researching ways of trying to replace the Pacer, although little progress has yet been made. Northern Rail has said it would replace Pacers with Chinese lightweight trains. Arriva Trains Wales announced in early 2006 that it would replace Pacers by 'displacing' its fleet with Class 170 Turbostar trains, although nothing has been ordered. It looks possible that Pacer trains could be in operation for at least another decade.
British Rail diesel multiple units