02:57

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

have a look at this

Old 15th October 2010, 08:23

This is why I advocate that once a person reaches 70 the driving licence should be withdrawn. You get an OAP bus pass at 65 and even on long distance bus you get large fare discounts. If you live in an area with no bus then most councils run a dial-a-car service. At the very maximum 75 should be the cut off point for driving. A lot of old folk say they are safe but a 6 monthly driving test will determine if that is so. Definitely NO-ONE over 75 should be behind a wheel.

Last edited by enigma45; 15th October 2010 at 08:32.
Old 15th October 2010, 08:41

[QUOTE=pre65;54791]NO WAY !!

Don't forget the bus pass comes in at 60 and a bit (3 months at the mo).

Although I now have my bus pass, I could not survive without my car. Rural areas like where I live are not well served with public transport of any sort these days.[/QUOTE]

Just because you live in the stick with a poor bus service does not mean you are isolated. I have a friend with NO bus service and for a small sum each year he has a council taxi service to take him anywhere to contact with long distance travel or shopping.. A car is NOT a necessity just a convenience. With my bus pass I have been all over the country for free or at reduced rates and some bus firms even have a taxi service to take you to the long distance bus.,. I know the Government will probably put restrictions on the travel pass but that is no reason to become a recluse. Old drivers are just as dangerous as the young ones and according to a friend in the insurance industry the insurance companies are considering putting weighting on policies of the over 65's in the same way as the under 25's. That will get a lot of old dodder's off the road.
Old 15th October 2010, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
I am a pensioner, I have had my licence for over 50 years and not even a "tea stain" on it PLUS on my licence I have a class D...check that out !
Apart from being a retired BR man, I have also done bus driving AFTER MY RETIREMENT (class D) for a time until my ill health , which did not affect my driving, became too bad. I still drive today, admitting only local in my car, usually the Tesco or Morrisons "shunt", I am ALSO an advanced driver AND a member of the Guild of Experienced Motorists.

Your comments as quoted are absolute rubbish and only fit to be deleted !!!

Yeah yeah yeah.. all the usual guff about "I can't live without my car" PIFFLE you'll live longer without it. I am a pensioner too and admittedly I have good bus service but you do NOT need a car. By your own admission you only drive locally. Well there is your answer. Pure selfishness. You are just wasting a precious resource and shortening your life. If you only go local ride a bike. Why do car drivers seem to think they are above all others?
Old 15th October 2010, 09:24

I have no objection to your views if you feel that is the best option for you, but please don/t assume that anyone else should follow just because of that.

My nearest regular bus stop is a mile away ( across a muddy footpath for part of the walk) and even then the choice of destinations is limited.

I have sat down and looked at all the car/motorcycle/van (yes-3 vehicles ) journeys I do and very, very few could be accomplished by public transport. I do my shopping once a fortnight, try doing that on the bus.

To use the train involves a journey of 15 miles to get to the nearest station !

So please, don't try and tell me what is good for me.

I do have my bus pass now, and shortly will actually use it when I go to Addenbrooks (Cambridge) hospital for some tests, they can be used on the park and ride bus.
Old 15th October 2010, 11:36

I worry about the standards of driving of a minority irrespective of age groups and gender and class of vehicle driven so it is unfair IMHO to isolate any one group instead better regulation and enforcement of the driving standards across the board are required.

Some people may only use the car for a short trip but not everyone is capable of walking to the stop and standing in all weather and/or holding on whilst still trying to get to a seat on the bus whilst the driver races to get into the only gap in the traffic because no one will let them out, or maybe carrying heavy shopping more than a few yards is a difficulty for them through no fault of thier own.

So whilst in a perfect world public transport is a great sollution, one size does not fit all and no system can totally replace the private car which is a necessity and a lifeline for some.

Regards

www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk
Old 15th October 2010, 11:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6678bjm View Post
I worry about the standards of driving of a minority irrespective of age groups and gender and class of vehicle driven so it is unfair IMHO to isolate any one group instead better regulation and enforcement of the driving standards across the board are required.

Some people may only use the car for a short trip but not everyone is capable of walking to the stop and standing in all weather and/or holding on whilst still trying to get to a seat on the bus whilst the driver races to get into the only gap in the traffic because no one will let them out, or maybe carrying heavy shopping more than a few yards is a difficulty for them through no fault of thier own.

So whilst in a perfect world public transport is a great sollution, one size does not fit all and no system can totally replace the private car which is a necessity and a lifeline for some.

Regards
Well put sir !

Yes, being of a certain age does not, in any way, determine ones driving standard.

Why not just raise the minimum age to 25, as young drivers seem to be the biggest problem ?
Old 19th October 2010, 05:04

Here you go, for those who are not able to drive themselves: SMARTER THAN YOU THINK...
Google Cars Drive Themselves, in Traffic
Old 19th October 2010, 10:55

How would hi-vis protect the occupant if he/she was in that car?
mickey
Old 19th October 2010, 11:50
Registered Member

I Agree with Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6678bjm View Post

Regards
Well said Brian. I along with others certainly do not agree whith what enigma45 says about older drivers. I have over fifty years of driving experience of driving including HGV 1 and PSV. I find the most dangerous drivers on the roads are the boy racers who try to show off. racing up and down in residential streets.
Being disabled and not being able to use public transport my car is a lifeline for me. I'd like to ask if enigma45 is a driver and how old is he.
Old 20th October 2010, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Why not just raise the minimum age to 25, as young drivers seem to be the biggest problem ?
its not how old someone is to be the biggest problem

i was watching a program yesterday and the car drivers were causing lots of trouble

there was one in his 90's driving the wrong way down a motor who and a 36 year old doing that aswell

one in his 50's going at 120 mph in a 30 zone

and one in his 40's doing something else

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)