15:55

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

london underground

Old 9th January 2010, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
Try the Jubilee line from stratford to Canary Wharf - they have glass screens at the edge of the platforms where doors open at the same time as the trains. It keeps the drafts down and also stops people jumping onto the rails (maybe thats something to do with the Financial sector employing some pretty unstable types - I wonder why the credit crunch was so bad??)
I 1989, I visited the SNCF railway works at Hellemmes (Lille), in France. An SNCF driver took me to the Lille Metro station at Hellemmes, where I caught an underground train back to the main station at Lille - the platforms were seperated from the track by a (glass?) partition, and as you've observed on the Jubilee line, the trains stopped in exactly the right place for the partition doors to be used. I was very impressed with this, and that was over 20 years ago! One drawback - you can't get the train/carriage numbers from the platform!

Old 10th January 2010, 13:14

Quote:
Try the Jubilee line from stratford to Canary Wharf - they have glass screens at the edge of the platforms where doors open at the same time as the trains. It keeps the drafts down and also stops people jumping onto the rails (maybe thats something to do with the Financial sector employing some pretty unstable types - I wonder why the credit crunch was so bad??)
they are very good but they can make the sound even worse

but very good idea, i have seen them on you tube
Old 10th January 2010, 17:13

The newfangled underground trains don't have the romance of the last train out of Baker Street to Aylesbury on a Sunday night. Wooden compartment carriages pulled by an electric loco (Sarah Siddons etc.). The electric engine gave way to steam at Rickmansworth. Mind you, it was 1960!
Old 19th January 2010, 17:12

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
The newfangled underground trains don't have the romance of the last train out of Baker Street to Aylesbury on a Sunday night. Wooden compartment carriages pulled by an electric loco (Sarah Siddons etc.). The electric engine gave way to steam at Rickmansworth. Mind you, it was 1960!
romance
what romance

ok i know i was not around when you may be talking about but by the videos on you tube i dont think they have ever had romance.
Old 19th January 2010, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by railwaybuddy View Post
romance
what romance

ok i know i was not around when you may be talking about but by the videos on you tube i dont think they have ever had romance.
Perhaps the perception of "romance" (other than with young ladies !) comes with age ?
Old 19th January 2010, 17:36

All railways are romantic railwaybuddy in one way or another

ccmmick.

Old 19th January 2010, 21:26

A couple of years ago I sat on the District line making my way home from Earls Court when this young lady stepped in at Westminster. Lovely young girl, blond hair, nice figure, etc. and you have to glance across every now and then just to make sure that you are not mistaken - she is gorgeous! Then she started tugging at her blond hair, I mean really face pulling tugs. Her extensions had to go. My wife and I watched in amazement as she gradually pulled them all out right round the back from right to left. She got off the train a few stops later as a different person!!! Youth - I have no idea.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:35

Quote:
A couple of years ago I sat on the District line making my way home from Earls Court when this young lady stepped in at Westminster. Lovely young girl, blond hair, nice figure, etc. and you have to glance across every now and then just to make sure that you are not mistaken - she is gorgeous! Then she started tugging at her blond hair, I mean really face pulling tugs. Her extensions had to go. My wife and I watched in amazement as she gradually pulled them all out right round the back from right to left. She got off the train a few stops later as a different person!!! Youth - I have no idea.
Well funny you say that klordger 1900 a couple of years ago my daughter had long blonde hair extentions not any more thank god and she uses the district line every day.

ccmmick.

Old 19th January 2010, 21:39

I can see a resemblance!!!
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:28

and they say romance is dead

true on the under ground

Last edited by railwaybuddy; 22nd January 2010 at 21:32.