15:24

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

class 31's

Old 23rd May 2008, 16:21

class 31's

Hi guys,
being an east anglian man it interests me that there is a rumour afoot that National express may be putting on a couple of class 31 units to haul passenger trains around east anglia................

anyone confirm or has info?wouldnt mind a gander at them!

Old 17th July 2010, 20:48

just out of interest i saw a network rail 31 pulling or rather crawling with the network rail track inspection train in april this year, quite a lucky sighting!
Old 18th July 2010, 23:04

Isn't the serrvice to Okehampton supposed to be top and taled by Class 31s - or has that not actually happened ? I find it difficult to keep up ...
Old 18th July 2010, 23:57

I would rather see a Class 31 and rake of coaches, than I would a Class 158 and the constant revving when trying to pull away.

(At this moment in time, I can't go 'Trainspotting' as such for a while, due to a family bereavement and my Dad bless him, then my Partner who is undergoing Chemo, followed by my Youngest son who has to undergo an operation in the next couple of weeks.)
Old 19th July 2010, 16:16

Sorry to hear all that Bramleyman. Hope better times are along soon & you can get back to relaxing with your hobby.
Old 19th July 2010, 19:27

Sounds pritty good!! only class 31 ive seen was network rail one at crewe station few months back..................
Old 19th July 2010, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxokid View Post
Sounds pritty good!! only class 31 ive seen was network rail one at crewe station few months back..................
Saw the entire class in the original D numbers.
The most interesting ones were the "Toffee Apple" D5500-D5519 all allocated to Stratford 30A.
Old 19th July 2010, 22:53

This thread is making me feel my age! I saw most of this class before they left the Brush works. And it's a long time ago............

Regards, 62440.
Old 19th July 2010, 23:00

The class 31 and class 15 were the first diesel electrics that I can remember at Wickford in my teens and the occasional class 37.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:06

A Class 31 loco doing 40 mph, was like riding in a derailed big dipper. The windows fitted where they touched,and they struggled pulling 4 coaches, with five on you could grind the rail with these things.
The exhaust smoke was a pure health hazard, when you had to breath in un burnt Deisel fuel.
Best place for these machines is where they are now.
We took a rake of cartics from Wakefield Westgate to Donny, and when we approached Castle Hills Junction, we were put up the Brodsworth Pit Branch.
We got 4 tics off the main lines, with another eight hanging accross the GN Main Line.
As a result of this we had to sand the line with our mashing cans and all the 31 did was slip like walking on ice rail grinding the rail at 3 mph .
The Donny signalman put us up this branch. so he could run a late running HST past us. Silly signal man, delayed the HST for another hour.