09:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

142s now in Northern Rail Livery

Old 18th November 2007, 14:32

Which one is it please !

Old 19th November 2007, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
142 005 has surprisingly for an unrefurbished unit been re-painted into Northern Rail Livery as it Worked the Liverpool to Huddersfeild Service Last Night. (14/11/2007)
What exactly do you mean by ‘refurbished’ on a 142? As far as I know all Northern’s 142s have either had the seats replaced or seat covers replaced at some point. I think all the former First North Western that were in the dark blue with a gold star livery had the seat covers replaced (to be the same style as the covers used on the refurbished 150s) but kept the old bus style seating. If I remember correctly I think the seat covers used to be brown.

Although with some of those 142s there was some red plastic stuff put on the walls under the windows (I’m not sure what it’s purpose is) Also at least 1 142 had the metal things on the top of the seats either covered in or replaced by purple plastic.

Northern have repainted some of each type of 142 they possess.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:54

What i mean is that the majoity of the 142's exept five of them When under the Managment of First Group had a Refurbishment done by means of :- Cycle and Luggage rack added, New partitions at Driving ends of carrage, New Seat Covers, Purple Painted Panels, New under frame window pannels.

Which was the Refurbishment of all of them with the exeption of five plus the ones Refurbished to Merseytravel Specification and one of the five un refurbished ones is 142 005 and along with 142 029.

So Next time you see or travel on one Look at the Differnce but there are now only three un refurbished ones as two i beleve whent to First Great Western.
Old 20th November 2007, 14:55

I think they AHd new engines put in them as well but this may have been done Before the internal iam not quite shure.
Old 26th November 2007, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
What i mean is that the majoity of the 142's exept five of them When under the Managment of First Group had a Refurbishment done by means of :- Cycle and Luggage rack added, New partitions at Driving ends of carrage, New Seat Covers, Purple Painted Panels, New under frame window pannels.

Which was the Refurbishment of all of them with the exeption of five plus the ones Refurbished to Merseytravel Specification and one of the five un refurbished ones is 142 005 and along with 142 029.

So Next time you see or travel on one Look at the Differnce but there are now only three un refurbished ones as two i beleve whent to First Great Western.
The only thing I've noticed with some former First North Western 142s is the lack of the red covering under the windows. I've probably assumed that if the cycle and luggage space is not at the end of the train that I'm in, it'd be at the other end.

Although, some people don't use the allocated space anyway. One morning I caught a 156 and a woman boarded with a bike and left by the toilet where it clearly "Do not leave bicycles or luggage in this area." When there was ample room at the other end of the 156. In the afternoon the same woman boarded a refurbished 150 and left her bike blocking the aisle in the same carriage as an empty cycle rack was located. The conductor did not make his or her way through that train.

I think it's logical that for passengers with bikes, luggage or baby's buggies to wait on the platform where they'd expect the middle of the train to stop, then as the train's stopping if you see the allocated space is at the front then you can make your way up to the front before the doors have been opened, or the back if there isn't room at the front.
Old 30th November 2007, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
I've not seen any former Arriva Trains Northern 142s on my local line (Manchester to Chester via Altrincham) for a bit, which is just as well because they always finish up extremly crowded due to their lack of seats.
You spoke too soon. On Wednesday 142.065 (a former ATN train in Northern livery) ran the 07:39 Manchester to Chester service (That train is timetabled to originate from Blackpool at 06:08 and is said to have between 166 and 180 passengers on it's busiest section) It also ran numerous trains throughout the day on the Manchester to Chester line including the 15:01 Chester to Manchester service which is said to have between 150 and 160 passengers on it's busiest section during school and college term time. And remember Northern Rail say that the number of people standing should not exceed 35% of the seating capacity and people should not normally have to stand for more than 15 minutes.
Old 30th November 2007, 15:07

Well in my book nobody should be standing it should not be allowed Northern have no excuse for overcrowding trains they need to sort it out big time as one day something serious will happen and they will be the blame and then will they learn.

Manchester to Chester seems like a long route they should have had a 150 on there of four coaches or if fast service then a 156.

The maintince should be stepped up as well as the reason for most brekdowns is through overloading the trains so if they didnt overload them there wouldent be as many trains out of service.

Northern don't seem to have a clue what they are doing aall they seem to do is give the trains a coat of paint which i must admit does make the 142's especially look tidy but relly they should start putting hard presure on they goverment for new trains.

As i belive if they were to put enough presure on the DFT they would probably get there in the end but theres nop reason why Northern can't take other funding means to get new trains ie Private funnding from things Like Football Players-Shops like Primarrk as the ammount of peolpe on the trains going to Primark in Liverpool is amazing.

Also noticed that 142 060 & 142 041 seem to be the latest to be painted into the northern livery.
Old 30th November 2007, 16:23
Station Manager

Hello John, noted today at Farrington curve junction near Preston was 142 051 it was still in Merseyrail yellow. All the best.

Chris.
Old 30th November 2007, 16:37

Yes there are a fews tillin the yellow, Does anyone know how many of the 142's were Refurbished into Merseyrail Livery / Standards.
Old 1st December 2007, 16:26

142 037 Spotted today in Northern Livery woring a Rainhill to Manchester Service at 12.10pm this affternoon.