16:28

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

142s now in Northern Rail Livery

Old 30th October 2007, 11:34

To be honest i think all the trains Northern have left with are old and battered but with tregards to toilets ive known quite a lot of 156's with defecive Toilets which is rather anoying when you have to walk from one end of the train to the other to get to it then you find it doesent work.

I also think that with the problems with the 142's you have exprenced you may have just been unlucky.

The doors on 142's sometimes jam because the School Kids offten stick pens in the mecanisim and there is the fact that they are somtimes used on Express Services whrere as when the train is traveling at speed the doors ratle like mad 2which doesent help what also dosent help is the overlaoding and people squashed against the doors.

But i must admit that most of the above are common problems on most old trains and the lack of maintince these days doesnt help the problems but i ca simpothise with Northern because they have been left with a right odd ball fleet and units of a considrable age.

Think the DFT shyould alow them to purchase a whole new fleet of trains Built to Modern requirements.

And finaly in mu opinion the 185's shold have gone to Northern along with the 170's accuired by FTPE recently and FTPE hshold have had a Class 223 which wouuld be simmler to the 222's but probably only seven coaches long.

Old 30th October 2007, 12:16

I agree that Northern are in need of better stock to cope with the frwquency of services, however there may be issues with giving them 185s or more advanced stock. I am not sure what the restrictions are on some parts but the 185s are heavy units and would they pass for routes like Chester via Altrincham?
Old 1st November 2007, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
I agree that Northern are in need of better stock to cope with the frwquency of services, however there may be issues with giving them 185s or more advanced stock. I am not sure what the restrictions are on some parts but the 185s are heavy units and would they pass for routes like Chester via Altrincham?
The Manchester to Chester via Altrincham line is deemed suitable for class 67 and 66 freightliners locomotives which are too heavy for some lines, as well as 3 car 175s which ocasionally used to be used for services on the line and still at when trains are diverted.

If I remember correctly Pacer trains are the least suitable for the line due to problems that can be encountered with them on the viaduct at Northwich.
Old 7th November 2007, 15:18

Well 142 003 was working the 18.08 Service from Rainhill to Liverpool Lime Street Last night so this one hasn't yet gone to FGW.

And also there was quite a few 142's out yesterday so there must be a sortage of 156's & 150's the latest Class 142 to be painted into Northern Livery seems to be ex Arriva Trains North East 142 026 as a spotted it yesterday though didn't get a ride on it though .

It just shows that no matter how mutch Northern don't like the 142's they still keep on providing good service alotogh who would want to travel on one all the way from Liverpool to Huddersfeild.
Old 9th November 2007, 15:41

142 026 142 034 seem to be the latest ones to gain Northern Livery !
Old 12th November 2007, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
And also there was quite a few 142's out yesterday so there must be a sortage of 156's & 150's the latest Class 142 to be painted into Northern Livery seems to be ex Arriva Trains North East 142 026 as a spotted it yesterday though didn't get a ride on it though .
I've not seen any former Arriva Trains Northern 142s on my local line (Manchester to Chester via Altrincham) for a bit, which is just as well because they always finish up extremly crowded due to their lack of seats. They are OK for some off-peak trains (capacity wise not quality wise) but then the problem is that if they run off-peak trains then they finish up running peak trains as well.

Example: The 13:24 Manchester to Chester train is quietest but the same train would then be expected to run the 15:45 Chester to Manchester train which is fairly busy and then the 17:24 Manchester to Chester train which can get very busy.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:31

142 024 has been working on the Liverpool - Manchester Oxford Road a few times Last week on Sunday 11th Nov 2007 it worked the 10.00 Service From Liverpool to Kirkham & Wesham.

This one Could be one of the next ones to be painted in to Northern Livery but must agree with you on the Lack of seats as with a few Nottingham Trains Being Canceled it was qiute full.

But yet at least they are Nice and warm like the ex Merseyrail Livired ones but it is unknown as yet how many 142 units will be painted into Northern Livery.
Old 12th November 2007, 15:50

142 031 was out yesterday as well this in Northern livery too.!

above worked the 11.54 service from RainHill to Liverpool.

142 024 worked the 10.00 to Kirkham and Wesham which i traveled on it to Prescot.
Old 15th November 2007, 17:00

142 005 has surprisingly for an unrefurbished unit been re-painted into Northern Rail Livery as it Worked the Liverpool to Huddersfeild Service Last Night. (14/11/2007)
Old 17th November 2007, 16:25

Saw this at Lincoln yesterday, for me it is one of the better liveries around, very smart.

http://images.fotopic.net/yqrqod.jpg