12:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Greetings from me

Old 11th August 2011, 23:06

Greetings from me

Hello all!

I'm a Film & Television student from Kent who enjoys making short films and documentaries about steam locomotives and railways.

I'm currently experimenting with the reviewing of various heritage railways around the UK; covering various aspects from the casual visitors' point of view, whilst trying to remain neutral, un-biased and fair minded. Results have been mixed thus far, for right and wrong reasons. But, I'm gradually learning new things about the Heritage Railway Sector while providing visitors and enthusiasts an idea of what to expect on their visit:
http://e-gmedia.blogspot.com/
Alongside reviews are some personal views I have of events and issues within railway preservation. Some of these may appear controversial, but there is no intention of offending or insulting any 3rd Party.

I am also an active volunteer and supporter of the Bluebell Railway Preservation Society; assisting with some (unofficial) promotion work of the East Grinstead Extension, as seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e9Y5jplaHA

Anyways, this is me. And I look forward to contributing to this forum wherever intended.

Old 12th August 2011, 09:59

Welcome! I've had a good look through your blog, and must say, you appear to have largely achieved what you set out to do. Fair reviews of locations, trains, facilities etc, along with a whole bunch of useful information not always to be found in those railways' websites and/or flyers. I noted your comments on all three railways concerning stock being left willy-nilly around the place; as you visit more and more railways, I think you'll find that the problem's pretty much universal. Well done! All you need now is to check your spelling - 'whether' not 'weather', and Isembard Kingdom Brunel, not 'Kingdon'. Otherwise, a fine effort!
Old 12th August 2011, 13:38

I echo the sentiments of our senior member, save for the boorish comments respecting spelling, which does tend to "peck the head" of certain members.
Keep up the good work.

P.S.

N & M on the Querty Board are next to each other, could easily have been Kingdo<!!!

Last edited by D.O.G.F.A.N.; 12th August 2011 at 15:01.
Old 12th August 2011, 20:48

Hi E-G Media and a warm welcome to the forum. I found your blog very interesting and will be a useful tool for information relating to many aspects of heritage railway sites. How about including a section relating to specific areas for photography along the line, or would that take up too much time? Just a suggestion. Anyway I look forward to following your work and many thanks for your valued input
Regards
Phil
Old 12th August 2011, 21:28
Station Manager

HelloE-G Media and welcome to the Railway Forum.
Old 12th August 2011, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.F.A.N. View Post
I echo the sentiments of our senior member, save for the boorish comments respecting spelling, which does tend to "peck the head" of certain members.
Keep up the good work.

P.S.

N & M on the Querty Board are next to each other, could easily have been Kingdo<!!!
Boorish? Hmff. I've never pulled anyone on the Forum up about their spelling, after all, it's just that - a forum; but this is regarding a website which is 'out there' for all to see and enjoy, and a certain degree of accuracy in grammar helps no end. No other complaints, it's a good piece of work, and a pleasure to look through.
Incidentally, while I'm still in 'boorish' mode, it's QWERTY.
Old 12th August 2011, 23:06

All this talk of Isembard Kingdon Brunel and Isembard Kingdom Brunel.
His name was Isambard
Old 13th August 2011, 00:44

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
I noted your comments on all three railways concerning stock being left willy-nilly around the place; as you visit more and more railways, I think you'll find that the problem's pretty much universal.
This is very true indeed and I certainly don't intend to hold it as a personal vendetta against any preservation society. But, lets just say, some railways intentionally seem to take better care of their stock than others.

Quote:
All you need now is to check your spelling - 'whether' not 'weather', and Isembard Kingdom Brunel, not 'Kingdon'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.F.A.N. View Post
To be fair, BOTH of you hold a very valid point.
I admit, spelling was never really one of my strongest points while studying literature (how I received an A*, I'll never know!). And, while there's more important things to worry about, one has to maintain appearances if they are to be taken seriously in this world. All I can really say is thank you for letting me know.
At the same time, you're right; it could have easily been Kingdo<!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
How about including a section relating to specific areas for photography along the line, or would that take up too much time?
I did consider this when I planned the concept. However, I'm not the greatest stills photographer in the world and although I try to cover all aspects, my target audience was for the casual visitor than the hardcore linesider.
That said, I will bear it in mind for future reviews wherever I can.

Quote:
this is regarding a website which is 'out there' for all to see and enjoy, and a certain degree of accuracy in grammar helps no end. No other complaints, it's a good piece of work, and a pleasure to look through.
You're right again, and thanks for your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
His name was Isambard
...if you insist!

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I must say, I already feel more welcome here than on other forums I've joined recently. I shan't name any names for obvious reasons, but some seem to feel strongly that what I'm doing should only be tackled by those who are either employed in the Heritage Railway Sector, or have previous background with Professional Market Research; in other words, some seem to feel that I'm wasting my time.
And, for those who are interested, I don't just intend to stop at reviewing railways. I am also in the process of setting up some of my films produced at University (also related to steam engines), which will also be trademarked under E-G Media. As well as a series of short documentaries looking at various locomotive designs (which is currently in the works).

Incidentally, whereabouts on this forum would you recommend I mention my work? I feel it necessary to ensure that I don't end up clogging this thread up with every update I make.
Old 13th August 2011, 06:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
His name was Isambard
Isambard - of coarse! Watt a klot Ive bean. Stil, itts abote thyme eye ad thee opertoonty two spel summink rong, sinse evrybudy els duzit.
Old 13th August 2011, 09:00

Dave.
All that's been done before a couple of weeks ago.{see Brittania Nameplates]Myself being scorned for that not so simple spelling error. Oh and I mentioned the word DYSLEXIA, shock horror.
Some members easily get riled up over a silly spelling mistake, but I note that it still goes dark at night and then lights up again in the morning.So life does move on.
Cheers.