20:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

The Railways of Spain

Old 25th February 2012, 19:04

The Railways of Spain

Good Evening, or shall I say Buenas Noches!
I am visiting Spain with my college in 5 weeks time and we are being given free time during the trip to do as we please. I would like to get some photos of the Railways but I'm not sure on the security at the present time. I have heard you need to apply for a permit to take pictures from Renfe but after searching the Renfe website for an hour I got nowhere. I have looked on Google Earth and there is a road bridge outside of Atocha Rail station in Madrid and I was wondering if I would be able to take pictures from it of trains coming into, and leaving, Atocha without any hassle from the Spanish Authorities? The bridge is public and has a pavement. I would have thought I would be fine but I would just like to check where I would stand. My Spanish is alright but I'm not sure I'd be able to explain what I'm doing to Police!

Thanks a lot
Dan

Old 25th February 2012, 19:45

hi Dan

Not been as far as Madrid yet but I've taken some photo's around Barca

A/ not been challenged by anyone
B/ trackside they don't have the fences we have and photography is easy especially from a nice café

Hope you enjoy yourself we are going down as far as Benidorm in September so I'm looking forward to some different shots myself

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 29th February 2012, 07:27

Thanks Gray, I've just heard stories which have involved Police and stuff and that's just in public but it sounds like you haven't had a problem, whether it's the area or not I don't know. I'm tempted to play the innocent tourist if anyone says anything, I'll only be on the bridge for 30 mins anyway.

Thanks for your help
Dan
Old 29th February 2012, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by danphi11ips View Post
Thanks Gray, I've just heard stories which have involved Police and stuff and that's just in public but it sounds like you haven't had a problem, whether it's the area or not I don't know. I'm tempted to play the innocent tourist if anyone says anything, I'll only be on the bridge for 30 mins anyway.

Thanks for your help
Dan
The Spanish Police are a little difficult at the best of times and are quick to respond I know as a caravanner who tows through Spain regularly I mean we HAVE to have 3 warning triangles because of them, not the one you need elsewhere.

Anyway here's another thing I do

I usually print out a little card and get it translated on Google
I says
Quote:
I am English I can not speak much Spanish.
I take photographs of Trains as a hobby
If this is not allowed please excuse me for I was not aware]
Quote:
Soy Inglés no puedo hablar mucho español.
Puedo tomar fotografías de los trenes como un hobby
Si esto no está permitido por favor, perdóname porque yo no era consciente
I put this in a small photo Album of Train pictures from around the world that I have taken

Just a thought here's 3 from Spain one on a station (Blanés) 2 from a street café
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00362small.jpg (101.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 00592small.jpg (85.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 00594small.jpg (89.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Madcaravanner; 29th February 2012 at 09:55. Reason: adding photo;s from Spain
Old 29th February 2012, 13:16

I've taken loads of photos of trains in Spain MOSTLY without problems, even been allowed around loco depots and been given cab rides; all this occurred between 1989 and 1992. The only problem encountered was at Madrid Atocha, where we were apprehended and taken to an office, where after a wait of about 45 minutes, wew were given an official letter of authority allowing us to photograph trains at the station. However, once we started taking photos and writing down numbers at the broad gauge section, we were once again collared by police. We showed them our permits, which they scrutinized carefully, and then told us it was only valid on the standard gauge AVE section, since it was stamped 'AVE'. Very time consuming, and a pain in the ah - is that the time already? OK otherwise, here's some photos:-

http://daverowland.smugmug.com/RAILW...0726&k=TCGvPd4

The Spanish photos are in the last half.
Old 1st March 2012, 18:46

Good Evening, Muchas Gracias for your replies, so it seems that photos are ok as long as I stay away from Atocha and be nice to police if anyone asks me anything!
Thanks for the pictures, I am now more excited.

Thanks for your help
Dan
Old 1st March 2012, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by danphi11ips View Post
Good Evening, Muchas Gracias for your replies, so it seems that photos are ok as long as I stay away from Atocha and be nice to police if anyone asks me anything!
Thanks for the pictures, I am now more excited.

Thanks for your help
Dan
Me too
Can't Wait for September one on my list though is in France and is going to take a little bit of negotiation (coercion ) and that's Le Train Jauné

This is a narrow gauge railway over some SPECTACULAR viaducts the photo is the old train and they still have open carriages on the new one
WISH LIST French Railways ITEM 1 is this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8386620.JPG (27.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Madcaravanner; 1st March 2012 at 18:59. Reason: the photo is a scan of an old print from 1992
Old 2nd March 2012, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
Me too
Can't Wait for September one on my list though is in France and is going to take a little bit of negotiation (coercion ) and that's Le Train Jauné

This is a narrow gauge railway over some SPECTACULAR viaducts the photo is the old train and they still have open carriages on the new one
WISH LIST French Railways ITEM 1 is this
Is that the one which runs to/from Le Tour de Carol, in the Pyranees? I saw it there in June 1992, if it's the same one. We were travelling from Barcelona to Paris via Dijon, after a week or so around Portugal & Spain.
Forgot to mention, I'm off to Spain on 13th March 13th, but I fear we'll be some distance from the nearest railway. Just have to sit in the sun, eat, and drink, I suppose....
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Is that the one which runs to/from Le Tour de Carol, in the Pyranees? I saw it there in June 1992, if it's the same one. We were travelling from Barcelona to Paris via Dijon, after a week or so around Portugal & Spain.
Forgot to mention, I'm off to Spain on 13th March 13th, but I fear we'll be some distance from the nearest railway. Just have to sit in the sun, eat, and drink, I suppose....
Dave try to find details and fares

http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Lang...e/Default.aspx