12:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Why is it missing?

Old 4th November 2015, 09:35

Smile Why is it missing?

Visited Stafford station yesterday 3/11/15, whilst there i noticed that all the Pendolino units have had their front bottom cowling removed, this is the bit that normally covers the coupling equipment, does any one know why, also the additional coaches on the 11x car sets have the letter "U" on them, why U?

Old 5th November 2015, 20:05

Hi Keith

For your first question, it sounds like 'Winterisation'. Many companies put a protective bag round the coupler and connector box to prevent them being clogged with snow. The best time to take the panels off is when the train goes for an exam at a maintenance depot. The exams come up every few months (based on mileage) so trains being altered now will be ready for when (if) the snow comes.

Best wishes,

BW
Old 6th November 2015, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Hi Keith

For your first question, it sounds like 'Winterisation'. Many companies put a protective bag round the coupler and connector box to prevent them being clogged with snow. The best time to take the panels off is when the train goes for an exam at a maintenance depot. The exams come up every few months (based on mileage) so trains being altered now will be ready for when (if) the snow comes.

Best wishes,

BW
I'd have thought the best time to put a bag over couplers etc would be when taking panels off. Certainly not seen any bags yet although panels missing.
Old 7th November 2015, 00:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmoly View Post
I'd have thought the best time to put a bag over couplers etc would be when taking panels off. Certainly not seen any bags yet although panels missing.
Anybody can fit or remove a bag, ONLY a fitter can take the panels off and it makes sense to do this whilst the train is in an MPD for a periodical exam.

We're now in the Low Adhesion Season. Trains are being coated in grime, detritus and occasionally Traction Applicator Gel. If you put a bag on now it would just get fouled up.

Once the leaves are down and the freezing weather comes, that would be when the bags will go on. And the couplers need to be protected because the trains are more likely to fail in the freezing weather.

BW
Old 7th November 2015, 20:59

What happens "IF" it's "The wrong kind of snow"?
Old 8th November 2015, 10:24

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
What happens if the freezing weather happens before the leaves are down, is it bag on or bag off?. Not a serious question Beeyar, although I'm sure there are procedures, I was just being a bit silly. I always find your inside information most informative

On a more serious note, It's not uncommon to see Pendos flying up and down even in summer with the cowling missing, I've often wondered what the reason is

KEN
Old 8th November 2015, 23:09

I'm confused (Quite common nowadays ) Why remove the cover that already protects the coupling from the elements just to replace it with a bag?
I saw three Pendolinos today and all were fully intact (both ends).
It's quite common to see Pendolinos with their covers missing after a weekend where engineering work has resulted in diversions over non-electrified lines and they have been towed by diesel locos.
Old 9th November 2015, 08:45

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
I'm confused (Quite common nowadays ) Why remove the cover that already protects the coupling from the elements just to replace it with a bag?
I saw three Pendolinos today and all were fully intact (both ends).
It's quite common to see Pendolinos with their covers missing after a weekend where engineering work has resulted in diversions over non-electrified lines and they have been towed by diesel locos.
I hadn't thought about diversions, as being the need to remove the covering, thanks for that Swisstrains. I wonder how quick they are at replacing them once they are off, would it be done as a matter of routine the next time they are in the depot?

KEN
Old 9th November 2015, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Because the cover doesn't keep the snow out - that stuff gets everywhere !

It shouldn't be necessary to remove the covers just to HAUL a pendolino with a loco. They're designed to move back to allow assistance. See this....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvtZms1U9bw
Old 9th November 2015, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Because the cover doesn't keep the snow out - that stuff gets everywhere !

It shouldn't be necessary to remove the covers just to HAUL a pendolino with a loco. They're designed to move back to allow assistance. See this....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vvtZms1U9bw
Yes, I appreciate what you are saying but to the casual observer the cover appears to be "missing" even though it may well be tucked up behind the bodywork.