03:28

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Bang Rd.

Old 9th September 2015, 08:42

Smile Bang Rd.

After the closure of the two existing signal boxes i paid my first visit to Stafford station yesterday. As you are probably aware the station was closed over the Bank holiday for re-signalling, bi-directional running,and a dedicated down freight line through the old yard, there appeared to be some strange movements going on, including an up freight using the DOWN line through platform 3! ( which to me was bang road!).
The signal that is on the end of platform 4 (up line) now has the capability to turn into a single flashing yellow, this apparently indicates to the driver that the next signal for the Trent valley line will be at least one yellow allowing the train to keep moving, i hope you understand me.

Old 10th September 2015, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
The signal that is on the end of platform 4 (up line) now has the capability to turn into a single flashing yellow, this apparently indicates to the driver that the next signal for the Trent valley line will be at least one yellow allowing the train to keep moving, i hope you understand me.
Hi Keith,

It does, because the meaning of a a single flashing yellow is to inform the driver that the route ahead is set for the diverging line. The sequence will be... single flashing yellow, single fixed yellow with a junction indication, then a red.

What will normally happen is that the route will be 'approach released', so the fixed single yellow may 'step up' to a less restrictive aspect; two yellows (if it's 4 aspect signalling) or a green. This is a form of speed control...slow the train down for the junction, then let it accelerate again. A timer controls when the signals clear.

HOWEVER the driver MUST expect the red signal to remain red, braking appropriately and only taking power once (s)he sees the signals step up or the red come off.

Aplogies if I'm teaching my granny to suck eggs ,

Best wishes,

BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 10th September 2015 at 21:20.
Old 11th September 2015, 11:28

Smile

Thanks for the info, its more complicated than i thought.