14:07

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Crewe, class 60's

Old 29th December 2009, 20:09

Crewe, class 60's

Can anyone help me? Whilst i have a couple of weeks off work i was going to pop over to Crewe and see if i could locate the 12 or so class 60 locomotives that are stored there unservicable. Without tresspssing on the rails can anyone direct me to a good area to start from? I would be very grateful for some road names, directions etc.... Thanks. Happy new year (nearly).

Old 30th December 2009, 17:01

Lightbulb

If you ask the copper thieves nicely, they'll give you a piggy back around the shed.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:29

I wouldn't imagine you could catch a glimpse without tresspassing, they'll be undercover someplace.
Old 31st December 2009, 13:24

Yup. Last time I was at Crewe (in the late summer), all the 60's at Crewe Diesel Depot (currently FIFTEEN) were stored INSIDE the shed, and you won't get to see a lot at Crewe Electric Depot by peering through the gates either, there aren't any 60's there now anyway. There's a LOT (SEVENTY FOUR!!!) of 60's currently stored at Toton Depot, quite a few of which you would be able to see from the grassy (muddy?) bank to the east of the line. Best of luck!
Old 31st December 2009, 15:55

Can't you just ask for a permit like the old days?
Old 31st December 2009, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Yup. Last time I was at Crewe (in the late summer), all the 60's at Crewe Diesel Depot (currently FIFTEEN) were stored INSIDE the shed, and you won't get to see a lot at Crewe Electric Depot by peering through the gates either, there aren't any 60's there now anyway. There's a LOT (SEVENTY FOUR!!!) of 60's currently stored at Toton Depot, quite a few of which you would be able to see from the grassy (muddy?) bank to the east of the line. Best of luck!
Thanks Dave, Rassy etc.. for the info so far gents. I only live about five miles away from Toton and visit it at least once a week. (Nothing like what it was on the late seventies early eighties is it?) All the 60's there are out doors and decaying rapidly, and i have seen all but approx two of the ones stabled there according to the list on the wnxx website. There are two stored at margam that i will need to visit when its a bit warmer. Just checking if any of the fifteen at crewe where visible or not from any roads. Again thanks for the replys, some funny ones here cos i didn't get any replies to my previous and first ever thread since joining the group, Cheers.... Perhaps see some of ya on Toton hill one day.
Old 31st December 2009, 17:05

Your welcome Tim. Does anybody know what DBS plan to do with the class 60's? Let them rot on scrap lines for the next 10 years....surely not?
Old 1st January 2010, 12:05

As it stands I dont think they have a plan beyond using a handful of them as support during the sandite season, by the time they come to some sort of conclusion most of them will probably have rotted away.

It's next stop preservation, or the history books, for the 60's mefeels. Much like their electric cousins the Class 92, they're just badly, depressingly misused.

Of course both are built by Brush Traction, so, how dare we use a British loco on British metals. More Spanish, American and Canadian c*** please!

Last edited by Deathbyteacup; 1st January 2010 at 12:09.