01:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

A service I'm happy with.

Old 8th June 2010, 20:49

A service I'm happy with.

Yes there is one.
From last thursday to sunday I was up in Scotland as I am many times a year, but this time I thought I would actually pay attention to the railway and spend a bit of time on it and around it.
I can moan on and on about Northern rail, but on the Edinburgh- perth line via Abergyle, Kinghorn and Markinch etc is a service I cannot fault in any way. All trains are clean, in a good livery and operate frequently. DMUs such as 170s, 158s and the odd HST are regualar. The views are stunning and the staff are polite. I would reccomend a trip on this line on a sunny day so the forth bridge can be enjoyed in all it's glory. Waverley station is one of the friendliest stations I know. The staff are helpful and the city around it is magnificent.
The best place to view trains in and out is one of the foot bridges accross the line at Princes street gardens. This is between the tunnels.
One thing missing is freight- that uses an avoiding route.
The old haymarket steam shed that once stabled A3s and A4s is still intact and houses DMUs.

Steam in Edinburgh is a recent event.
Stock at the station is: 158s, 170s, HSTs, 225s, 185s, 156s, Voyagers of various companies and a sleeper.
Not a 142 in sight. If you can go, do. It won't be regretted.

Old 8th June 2010, 21:35

as i live in manchester and use northern,its a pleasure to head up to scotland and use a reliable railway,i visit friends in hillington on the glasgow central greenock line,the trains very reliable and in the rush hour are 6 cars,edingburgh what a city, remember getting a charter from man vic about 5 years ago to the festival..beautiful city friendly and vibrant,i found a great vantage point for spotting from the castle,looking down at the tunnels coming out of waverley,scotland has got it so right,why cant england?
Old 9th June 2010, 21:33

Well a good place to go is Carlisle. Here Scotrail and Northern clash directly. Up there Northern does a bit of occasional cleaning to the 158s and 153s in an act of shame.
Old 10th June 2010, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Well a good place to go is Carlisle. Here Scotrail and Northern clash directly. Up there Northern does a bit of occasional cleaning to the 158s and 153s in an act of shame.
not bashing northern today changed your pills then quoting a good toc something new
Old 10th June 2010, 20:24

Well cleanign has at least stepped up a bit on Northern's network.
I realise that the 142s, although hated by most travellers, will not be around for much longer in all likelyhood as passenger numbers continue to rise.
I dislike the company, not the DMUs, after all its not their fault.
Old 11th June 2010, 19:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Well cleanign has at least stepped up a bit on Northern's network.
I realise that the 142s, although hated by most travellers, will not be around for much longer in all likelyhood as passenger numbers continue to rise.
I dislike the company, not the DMUs, after all its not their fault.
this side off pennines we consider northern a resonable toc after having arriva and northern spirit the trains turn up not so with previos 2