14:59

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hi from a tram driver!

Old 13th February 2007, 23:39

Hi from a tram driver!

Hi, All!

My transport enthusiasm is born out of childhood holidays when I travelled from Gosport on the South coast to Maltby near Rotherham. We used the Portsmouth Harbour ferry, SR electrics, London Tube, LNER blood & custard stock, Doncaster trolleybuses, East Midland Chocolate & cream buses, Rotherham trolleybuses and Sheffield trams! For me a veritable feast!

I joined the Tramway Museum Society in 1964 and have worked there ever since, but I have always had an interest in railways.

Now I'm coming up to retirement in 2008 and hope to look at railways more closely.

I'll be starting in April with a Welsh railway holiday package taking in Teifi Valley, the Gwili, the Ffestiniog and Tallyllyn. It looks like a good way to start. You can find it at www.railwayholiday.net .

With my wife I've attended writers holidays organised by the same guy, Gerry Hobbs, and they've always been excellent. I don't think she'll be coming with me in April!

Looking round the web site has been fascinating, with so many people answering questions for others. How generous of you! I look forward to regular visits!

Best wishes to you all,

Malcolm Chisholm

Old 13th February 2007, 23:45

Hi Malcolm, nice to have you on board.

You've said some nice things about the board, and if you have any questions yourself, then please ask. The chances are that someone will be able to answer you.

Welcome.
Old 14th February 2007, 00:14
Registered Member

Hi Malcolm welcome to the gruop.
Alan Locojoe
Old 14th February 2007, 08:47

Hello and welcome, Malcolm. I hope you enjoy the forum, and I look forward to reading your posts.

Adam
Old 14th February 2007, 10:17

Hello Malcom and welcome to the forum.
I see you have already started posting so just carry on and enjoy yourself.
Old 14th February 2007, 11:15

Ciao Malcolm,
as you state in anoter thread, you have some knowledge of Italian, I send you my "cordiale benvenuto"! Dario Romani from Rome
P.S. Is there something in particular from the italian railway/tramway scene that might interest you?
Old 14th February 2007, 12:45
Station Manager

Welcome to the board Malcolm, like you I am also close to retirement and looking forward to visiting railways around the country. I have also found that I can spend hours from "getting out from under her feet" by messing about on my model railway and messing about with Rail Sims on the PC.
Syd
Old 14th February 2007, 21:12
Station Manager

Hi Malcolm,

Welcome to the Group. I live a couple of miles from the Tramway Museum at Crich.

Look forward to you posts.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 19th February 2007, 22:34

Italian railways

In reply to Dario, Apart from a week travelling between Stresa and Milano to visit Milano tram depot, my time in Italy has been around the bay of Naples, using the Circumvesuviana.

I have often stayed in Sorrento and visited Ppmpeii, Ercolano, San Pietro di Scafati and Napoli. I have also used the Metropolitana old and new (out to Secondigliano) and the line to Baia(?)

Haven't been to Sorrento for 4 years, but looking forward to returning in a year or two. Holidays there have become very expensive since the €uro came in, with 1000 lire being translated to €1 by most traders, hence doubling prices!

I'd like to go back to the railway museum at Pietrarsa. Lots of interesting exhibits, but all static. A bit of a shame, that. I'd also like to go back to see the new trolleybuses in Napoli. The old ones were getting a bit tired-looking. Have they been upgrading the trams as well?

Thanks for the warm welcome,

Malcolm