00:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Whitby excursions

Old 1st February 2008, 12:57

Angry Whitby excursions

I saw this and other pics in John H-T's gallery so I thought I'd say a couple of things.

http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...m/P4290150.JPG

One thing I miss now that the railways are privatized is the fact that I now work for a virtually all freight company. I used to love driving passenger trains, especially to Whitby and I've got some great memories from going up there. Having said that, if I was to choose between freight or passenger work. I'd choose the freight side, but I still like to have hold of a passenger train from time to time.

I wasn't working this special, but I have worked others to Whitby and I got really annoyed with the passengers at this very station, Glaisdale. We had about ten minutes to wait for the train service from Whitby to clear the section so we could go foreward, so I was asked by the guy in charge if the passengers could get out and stretch their legs. I said it was fine as long as they didn't wander too far cos I'd want a quick departure once I'd got the single line token, and as long as they stayed off the railway.

The next thing I knew, the platform was swarming with people, some of whome crossed over the track at the level crossing and some started to walk down the track. I told them to get off the track, but as I did so, more people walked behind me onto the track in the very same direction that the train from Whitby would be arriving. I really couldn't believe how stupid these people were.

I began ordering everyone back onto the train and the guy who asked me to let the people have a walk asked me why I'd changed my mind. I told him and he started to argue with me. I just ignored him and carried on getting people off the line and into the train. I just to say managed to get a couple of people out of the way of the train to Middlesbrough before it entered the station at 15mph.

They won't go walkabout again if I'm working a train there.

Old 1st February 2008, 19:57
Station Manager

Not sure how to take your comments Dynamo.

All I can say is that I did nothing to achieve this shot without the permision of the organisers, who were carefully marshalling the activities of people walking around.

People were gathered in before the arrival of the train from Whitby. I was back in my seat by then.

I am also a working volunteer on a Heritage railway including working as a member of the permanent way team.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 2nd February 2008, 14:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Not sure how to take your comments Dynamo.
I wasn't having a go at you John and I'm sorry if thats the way it came across. The excursion I worked came from Norfolk if I remember correctly.

In the pic there's several people milling about but they all look to be acting reasonably. On the day I worked the special I can assure you the passengers didn't.
Old 3rd February 2008, 09:12

Whitby Excursions are now regular events thanks to the NYMR getting an operating license to run trains from Grosmont to Whitby and Battersby.
Old 4th February 2008, 11:00
Station Manager

I wasn't bothered Dynamo as I think there is a big issue here that could threaten mainline steam. There are a lot of idiots around walking on the track and generally trespassing. The railway press are trying to educate people but there are still incidents.

The stop at Glaisdale was very well marshalled, but in a relaxed way. The service train was running late and there was a lot of activity on the phones. In the meantime we were allowed a bit of leeway. As soon as the train was due we were all shepherded back to where we should be. It was nice for once to get some more interesting shots and I was grateful as no doubt were all the others. We all responded responsibly and stayed within the area we were given.

I will confess to going to the limits of permitted areas to get that slightly different shot but never over the line!

Best wishes,

John H-T.