21:53

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Not Combating Fare Evasion.

Old 5th November 2007, 10:14

Not Combating Fare Evasion.

Last week when the conductor came to check tickets on a train I was on a girl in school uniform asked for a child fare and the conductor sold her a ticket, a boy sitting next to her, not in school uniform, who could easily have been 17 also asked for a child fare. The conductor refused to believe he was under 16, the boy's response was "You prove I'm over 16 if you want me to pay the full fare." To which the conductor's response was "I'm allowed to charge the full adult fare to anyone who boards at a staffed station without a ticket." The boy then claimed he was £1 short of the adult fare and the conductor seemed to let him off with that.

Yet at the same time you see posters at stations saying in instants like that you could finish up being arrested or 'at the wrong station' as it says on some posters.

Old 5th November 2007, 10:22
Station Manager

I belive it's all down to the conductors,i think the railway comany would rather have some of the fare than none of the fare.
All the best,Ian
Old 5th November 2007, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian White View Post
I belive it's all down to the conductors,i think the railway comany would rather have some of the fare than none of the fare.
All the best,Ian
Exactly, the conductor was trying to avoid a confrontation, but at the same time managed to get some revenue from the youth.

Les