06:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Can Anybody Help?

Old 7th February 2011, 23:05

Can Anybody Help?

Hi guys and gals,

I'm looking to buy a house in Earlsdon, near Coventry, but there appears to be a train line almost directly opposite (behind another row of houses). I was told by the seller that it's a freight line and infrequently used, save for some mornings.

Is there a way of finding out what the line is called and a schedule for the line, so I know whether I'm buying a house with one hell of a loud wake-up call before I'm ready to get out of bed?

I can provide a Google Map shot if it's any help, or a postcode for your own searches?

KJ

Old 8th February 2011, 15:29

Looking at google maps and a Rail Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland it looks to me as it's the main line between Rugby and Birmingham New Street. There's a single track that runs from Coventry to Leamington Spa but to me it seems to far away from Earlsdon to be the one your talking about. I might be wrong.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:42

Looks like it may link Coventry to Birmingham International Airport and Birmingham ?

Why not spend some time near the track and see for yourself ?

At least you would know first hand.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:00

If that's the one, I think it might be used a bit more than the odd freight train. Having said that, a place I used to live in March was from the back door to the cess approximately 15 yards away. Some of the freight trains that used to pass quite literally shook the house. This was quite handy for a son of a prison officer who used to live a few doors away as under the cover of the noise he used to break into peoples houses. Mine never got touched.
I never minded living that close to the railway for obvious reasons and my wife and 3 daughters never seemed unduly bothered by it either.
Old 11th February 2011, 21:37

Hi guys, thanks for the replies!

It's the line here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Coll...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Between Collingwood Road and the Rugby ground!
Old 12th February 2011, 19:47

That's the line from Coventry to Nuneaton - travelled on that one. Passenger & some freight. Checking the timetable - about one passenger train each way every hour. Dont know about freight.
Old 12th February 2011, 20:01

If its a nice house and something that you would like, then don't let something like train noise stop your purchase. The noise is something that you would get used to and not be troubled with.
I ran a pub in Notts for 10 years adjacent to St. Giles Church. The bell rang every quarter hour, and on the hour the bells peeled the time.
Within 3 months we had adapted to it and it never bothered us after that.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old 13th February 2011, 16:49

Google Freightmaster.
You may get a better idea there.
For detailed info you have to pay some money.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 15th February 2011, 10:39

I live fairly close to the Brighton main line in Purley with a train approx every 1-2 minutes on average and I can't say I hear too many complaints about train noise. We get the odd up (London-bound) Brighton or Gatwick fast bombing through at 80mph-plus which does rattle the windowpanes a bit and can drown out conversation if you're outside. In the down direction the gradient or stop at East Croydon plus adverse gradients keeps them to around 75-ish and makes them far less intrusive.

The vast majority of our trains are electrics though which does help. Probably the only time railway noise has been raised by our residents' assocation are the DB Schenker Class 66 diesels shunting the Days Aggregates terminal in the small hours of the morning though in fairness the company has taken a number of measures to alleviate this. And we get the occasional MPV chuntering away to itself using the Days siding as a refuge late at night, which probably also doesn't impress the neighbours too much.

The biggest railway racket probably comes from the occasional steam special but nobody seems to mind that too much...