08:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Hornby 2013.

Old 30th December 2012, 15:27
Station Manager

Hornby 2013.

Quite surprised to see no thread yet on the new Hornby Range for 2013 so will try to fill the gap!

Pleased to see two locos on my wish list: Lode Star and 28XX 2807.

Will be very interested to see how Hornby's new "Design Clever" technique pans out. Will it be a revision too far or will modern techniques allow them to get away with more moulded on detail with modern design and printing? Certainly Cock O' The North and Duke of Gloucester for under £100 each (Hatton's Prices for the super detail versions) will make them worth a second look. They will not have a superior Bachmann Model to compare with as in the case of Tornado.

Good to see the Sentinel 4w DM in Industrial liveries. An area much neglected so far. Again available for under £50 (Hattons).

Another EMU for the Southern.

Will be interesting to see the new Mk1 coaches, fairly limited range: BSK,SK, CK, which will come in cheaper than the more comprehensivre Bachmann Range, but how will the detail stand comparison?

Disapointed to see the Hall, already produced by Bachmann in both original and Modified Form (due next month). There is some suggestion that this is principally to update Hogwart's Castle.

GWR Shunters Truck, LMS CCT and BR Fish Van are all welcome additions.

The new DCC eLink to run off a PC is an interesting development and could blow the DCC Market wide open at under £85 (Full Price.) If it works well it could make many other DCC systems look very expensive!

For those with loads of money a full set of preserved A4s and the usually crop of renumberings. Good to see the preserved GNR N2.

Not much for modern image but it has nearly all been done - how about a Fell someone!

Looks like Hornby are on the way up again after a difficult couple of years. It will be interesting to see the reaction to "Design Clever." When locos and stock are viewed from a distance on a layout a lot of the fine detail is lost. It could be, as long as the overal shape and scale is right, that Hornby might be going the right way. Certainly will be interesting to see DoG and Cock O' The North in the "flesh!"

Add in an GNR O2 from Heljan and Bachmann's announcements for 2013-14 in March and it all looks very good except for the Wallet!

Happy New Year to you all.

John H-T.

Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 30th December 2012, 18:30

Yes it was nice to see them commit to so many preserved logos. I will certainly be interested in all of them though the set of 6 A4's will not be in most people's budget at approx £1000+! mind you for an additional £10 you can have a wall mounted cabinet to display them.
The N2 is good value.
Hope I win the lottery!
Good hunting
Phil
Old 31st December 2012, 08:45

Yes, some good releases by Hornby, GWR 2807 especially of course! However, several of the 2012 releases are still not here yet - for example I'm anxiously awaiting the GWR 2-8-0T, having only seen them on display at Peterborough Show back in October. In "real life" GWR 2-8-0Ts would have been rare on my layout as they tended to work only as far as Gloucester from South Wales but the 2-8-2Ts were more common, especially during WWII. However, I still want a 2-8-0T!
Old 31st December 2012, 10:52
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddington Ted View Post
Yes, some good releases by Hornby, GWR 2807 especially of course! However, several of the 2012 releases are still not here yet - for example I'm anxiously awaiting the GWR 2-8-0T, having only seen them on display at Peterborough Show back in October. In "real life" GWR 2-8-0Ts would have been rare on my layout as they tended to work only as far as Gloucester from South Wales but the 2-8-2Ts were more common, especially during WWII. However, I still want a 2-8-0T!
Hope that Hornby will be making a donation to the upkeep of 2807 from the proceeds of the sales of their model! Will probably order one from my local shop when he publishes his price.

Happy New Year,

John H-T.
Old 1st January 2013, 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
Hope that Hornby will be making a donation to the upkeep of 2807 from the proceeds of the sales of their model! Will probably order one from my local shop when he publishes his price.

Happy New Year,

John H-T.
Well, that would be nice if Hornby did so but the publicity alone will no doubt help! 2807 will shortly be having a rest while the GWSR closes for the Winter but we are looking forward to 2013 and seeing 2807 working from Cheltenham to Laverton. Broadway is the next stop of course but 3 bridges need attention (which in both real and model railways translates to time and money!). To keep you going, here is a GWSR Loco Dept image of our real 2807 getting ready for a recent Santa Special at Toddington.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121216-2807 ready for Santa Specials Toddington_2.jpg (105.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 1st January 2013, 19:36
Station Manager

Nice Photo, like the tinsal!

Good Luck to the GWSR for 2013. Look forward to attending the big Gala at the end of May.

Best wishes,

John H-T.