00:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Model railway to be removed from attic for train display

Old 6th December 2015, 22:11
Station Manager

Model railway to be removed from attic for train display

An intricate model train set that took an enthusiast more than 60 years to put together in his attic is to be exhibited by rail enthusiasts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-34988156

The display featuring thousands of pieces was created by Laurence Teague, of Redditch, Worcestershire, who died last year aged 74.
It is yet to be decided when the removal process can start.
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway plans to exhibit part of the display in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire.
A spokesperson for the heritage railway added because of the size of the display, which runs 32ft by 11ft, (9.7m by 3.3m) it would not be able to display the entire works due to the likelihood of damage occurring in the removal process.
The model collection is currently in the loft of Mr Teague's house. His widow Gail said he had shown an interest in railways since the 1940s.
"Any form of locomotion interested Laurence. He started the collection before he even knew me. It was a passion he had all his life."
She added: "He wasn't allowed to put up the railway display in the loft until I knew he was up there doing the rooms in the house first. It took him a year to do up every room in the house; and he spent half a year doing up his railway display."
Mr Teague, founder of Teague's Television in Redditch, donated the display in his will to the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway.
Mrs Teague said her late husband would have wanted people to enjoy the display, but added she would be upset when the railway collection was taken from the loft.
"His humour is up there. His personality is up there. It's so much of him," she said.

(See Video at the above address)

Old 7th December 2015, 14:56

My condolences to Mr Teague's family.
Always very sad when an enthusiast finally drops the fire. A lifetime of collecting and building model railways has to be dispersed and/or disposed of, often to people who have no idea of what went into the building of them. I hope it is possible for the GWR to display the railway or incorporate into a bigger layout.
Old 8th December 2015, 01:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
My condolences to Mr Teague's family.
Always very sad when an enthusiast finally drops the fire. A lifetime of collecting and building model railways has to be dispersed and/or disposed of, often to people who have no idea of what went into the building of them. I hope it is possible for the GWR to display the railway or incorporate into a bigger layout.
A lovely post, dear Tony
Old 8th December 2015, 01:31

Yes, very sad. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

What a magnificent creation. At least fellow enthusiasts will be able to enjoy and marvel at it.
Old 8th December 2015, 19:22

Bless his heart and what a fab layout. RIP Mr. Teague.
Old 12th December 2015, 21:47

As a fellow enthusiast and a member of the GWSR, I'm very thankful for what Mr Teague has done. He has clearly been busy. I'm sure that the layout will be well looked after, but:
Am I alone in thinking that sometimes, in model railways, less is more? From the footage on the BBC, the layout seems too crammed with, well, everything. However, please forgive me if I seem so critical; it's not my intention. It may well be that, when viewed by human eye rather than by TV camera, the layout isn't so "busy" as it seems on TV.

Anyway, here's to you Mr Teague, you were a very dedicated man whose legacy will live on.