00:26

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Manchester to Wales and Back

Old 19th August 2006, 20:02

Manchester to Wales and Back

I've just returned from a week in Wales which I journeyed to and from by train, and I thought I would relate my experience incase it is of interest to any modern traction fans. On the way down I travelled with Arriva Wales from Man Pic to Llandudno Juntion. I have know idea what I was travelling in other than it was an overcrowded 2 car unit. Indeed, it was so overcrowded so badly that it was apologised for over the tannoy. The change at Llandudno Junction was easy enough, and the following train was comfortable, though late. The first leg of the return journey (Bangor to Chester) was on a Virgin Pendelino, with a loco at it's head. I didn't note the numbers but the loco had a nameplate reading Thunderbird FAB 1, whilst the Pendelino bore the legend Virgin Quest. At this point it is worth noting that me and my friend reserved seats, namely 23 and 24 in coach A. However, the unit didn't have seats 23 and 24, the spot where they should have been was a luggage rack. The journey from Chester to Manchester was with Arriva Wales and nothing noteworthy happened.

Old 20th August 2006, 10:05

Angry

Ah. the fun of travelling on railways in Britain, passengers,sorry, customers, are nothing but an inconvienience.

Last edited by Albula; 20th August 2006 at 10:09.
Old 20th August 2006, 14:00

That will teachu for going to Wales boyo
Old 20th August 2006, 21:33

Wink

To be honest I wouldn't have bothered going if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted to see a bit of narrow gauge action, we where camping right next to the Welsh Highland Railway. But I like Wales, good scenery and nice little pubs with big portions.
Old 21st August 2006, 20:19

Hope to get to the Welsh highland on Thursday. Staying on Anglesey en route to Bristol. My wife won 2 tickets from Temple Meads to Kingswear on Sunday so thought we could break the journey up so to speak.
Old 21st August 2006, 21:25
Station Manager

Yorky,
I hope to be taking photos on the station on Sunday all being well. if you have a look at my gallery, there is a photo of me. If you see me , say hello.
Syd
Old 21st August 2006, 21:31

Anglesey is lovely, should be a nice trip for you Yorky. Enjoy the Welsh Highland, if you want to break your journey for a meal there's a nice pub right next to Waunfawr station.
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:34

Thanks, will bear that in mind.
Old 22nd August 2006, 18:12

DSY011.. Will try and look out for you, We r in coach F.31/32. Me I am the ttallish bloke with a beard using an Olympus dslr.
Old 25th August 2006, 13:29

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorky
DSY011.. Will try and look out for you, We r in coach F.31/32. Me I am the ttallish bloke with a beard using an Olympus dslr.
Since when is Anglesey between Halifax and Bristol? Anyway are you back yet and have you got any pictures?