09:18

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Birth of a layout.

Old 12th March 2006, 23:32

Some slight progress!!!

Well, the tiles have been glued to the door (henceforth to be referred to as 'the baseboard', in case anyone thinks that my decorating is even worse ), and I'm hoping to make a start on laying some track tomorrow. I want to give the Class 73 a test run!

Oh, and in keeping with the preserved railway based on Hedon routine, the plan has been revised. I'm considering making it a terminus, but doing it as though it was formerly a through station, as Hedon actually was. So the fiction is that the railway operates along the old LNER Withernsea branch between Hedon and Marfleet. A main line connection would exist from the western end of Marfleet station to the Saltend branch. So I can have visiting locomotives from the modern companies, and also from other preserved railways.

Old 21st March 2006, 00:08

I've finally got around to gluing the track down!!!! But the plan got revised again. I laid the track out to do a terminus/ fiddle yard scheme, and, in short.......boring.

So we now have a single track circuit, a passing loop, a three road engine shed, a DMU bay and a four road goods yard.

I'm looking forward to 'playing' with my model trains, and to hell with prototypical realism!!!!
Old 21st March 2006, 07:35

Good for you Trev.
It's your layout and you can do what you want with it.
Just Enjoy

John.
Old 21st March 2006, 07:38
Station Manager

I'm looking forward to 'playing' with my model trains, and to hell with prototypical realism!!!!

Now you are thinking like me Trev. Only trouble is after playing for a few days you add something to the layout, then something else, then you do a bit more and well thats it you then go the full hog. In the mean time just have fun.
Syd
Old 21st March 2006, 22:25

And in a further development, the Missus has agreed to having the layout set up permanently in our bedroom! I'll be able to leave rolling stock on the rails, and not worry too much about the height of the scenery, as I would have been if I had to carry the whole thing downstairs to play with. I'm going to have a mountain!!!!
Old 22nd March 2006, 08:00
Station Manager

Oh yes! and what did you have to promise her and how much is it going to cost?
Syd
Old 22nd March 2006, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
Oh yes! and what did you have to promise her and how much is it going to cost?
Syd
Nothing.

But her face fell a bit when I mentioned that I'd be able to balance it on her beech and glass coffee table. Suddenly space was found upstairs.
Old 22nd March 2006, 20:15
Station Manager

You sneaky sod. That would not work with my wife. She would take a 2"x4" to me. 'Ouch'
Syd
Old 22nd March 2006, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
You sneaky sod. That would not work with my wife. She would take a 2"x4" to me. 'Ouch'
I've spent a lot of time cultivating an air of male helplessness and stupidity. It's beginning to pay off!
Old 27th March 2006, 07:49
Station Manager

Trev,
I must be doing something right, we went out on Saturday and just happened to call into a model shop in Bristol. She said you can spend up £100 for your birthday next month. I have to admit to going to £120, but she just said she expected that from me. Have now got a Gaugemaster double controller, two more Dapol coaches and the rest of the trees I needed. Time to do some more to the layout.
Syd