06:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello, I need help with a book

Old 1st August 2009, 11:26

Hi Bookman, welcome to the forum. I think the picture is embedded in the message from G6UXU as a permanent part of his signiature. I have seen pics of the Red Dragon hauled by GWR Castles & BR Britannias, although it's possible that others may well have worked this train.

Regards,
Tony

Old 1st August 2009, 14:45

Hi Tony (TRP), Thanks for your comments. I have found a couple of really good pics of the Red Dragon in the gallery. I should have looked there first, but I'm a bit new to this and I'm still finding my way around.
Regards
Tony
Old 1st August 2009, 18:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Hi Tony (TRP), Thanks for your comments. I have found a couple of really good pics of the Red Dragon in the gallery. I should have looked there first, but I'm a bit new to this and I'm still finding my way around.
Regards
Tony
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.
The photos of the "Red Dragon" in the Railwayforum Gallery are modern day namesakes and are not necessarily representative of the real "Red Dragon" which ran between South Wales and Paddington in the 1950's and 60's. As Tony (TRP) said either a “Castle” or “Britannia” usually hauled the original train.
Old 2nd August 2009, 09:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.
The photos of the "Red Dragon" in the Railwayforum Gallery are modern day namesakes and are not necessarily representative of the real "Red Dragon" which ran between South Wales and Paddington in the 1950's and 60's. As Tony (TRP) said either a “Castle” or “Britannia” usually hauled the original train.
Hi John (Swisstrains)
Thank you for that point about the Red Dragon in the 50's and 60's. Do you know where I might look to find a photo of the engine from that period - or would it have to be a "Castle" or "Britannia" without the Red Dragon banner on the front?
Regards
Tony (Bookman)
Old 2nd August 2009, 18:50

hi bookman

hi bookman welcome to the forum. out of curiosity, what is your favourite train station?

Squeaky88
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:25
Station Manager

Hi Bookman, Yes you are right, it is the Duke of Beaufort. I should have remembered as I have been to Beaufort a number of times. Put it down to Senile Dementia
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:17

Hi Bookman,
There are many photos of the original "Red Dragon" in railway books especially ones by George Heiron but they are few and far between on the Internet.
There is a photo of a Castle being prepared to work the "Red Dragon" here:-
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/j-payne-5077-red-dragon.jpg and this site has greetings cards and prints which feature a Britannia hauling the "Red Dragon" at Newport:-
http://asp.kandles.co.uk/acatalog/Greeting_Cards.html
I should have mentioned it earlier but for a while there were actually two "Red Dragon" trains operating. The main one that we are talking about and a local shuttle that ran in North Wales between Rhyl and Llandudno
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky88 View Post
hi bookman welcome to the forum. out of curiosity, what is your favourite train station?

Squeaky88
MY favourite station must be Bridgend. My cousin, a real railway enthusiast, once told me that there used to some of Brunel's original line (the wider gauge) at one of the sidings at Bridgend.

Last time I visited, about three or four years ago, I stood on the down platform recalling my departure to England in 1961 when a female voice came over the tanoy (if you can imagine Gladys from Hi Di Hi) which said "Please do not leave any baggage or parcels unattended as the security people will have to take them away or blow 'em up!"

Regards

Tony (Bookman)
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Hi Bookman,
There are many photos of the original "Red Dragon" in railway books especially ones by George Heiron but they are few and far between on the Internet.
There is a photo of a Castle being prepared to work the "Red Dragon" here:-
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/j-payne-5077-red-dragon.jpg and this site has greetings cards and prints which feature a Britannia hauling the "Red Dragon" at Newport:-
http://asp.kandles.co.uk/acatalog/Greeting_Cards.html
I should have mentioned it earlier but for a while there were actually two "Red Dragon" trains operating. The main one that we are talking about and a local shuttle that ran in North Wales between Rhyl and Llandudno
Hello Swisstrains

Thanks for the useful info. I've had a look at the sites you mentioned and I agree with the one that says there could hardly be a better name for a steam engine than The Red Dragon. Standing on the platform at Bridgend as a small boy it really felt like a monster had entered our world, breathing smoke and steam - one could not expect that it would stop and allow one to hitch a ride! Those were the days.
Kind regards
Tony