01:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Class 66 refuelling query

Old 21st August 2011, 10:03

Class 66 refuelling query

My home backs on to the Blackburn Hellifield line and when our grandsons come to visit they look in awe at the Class 66 locos which pull the heavy Castle Cement and coal trains. This weekend, Harry, my eldest grandson, asked when he saw one of these locos run off light engine for servicing where it had gone? And I could not give the answer as I'm a novice concerning modern diesel workings.
So, can any of you more experienced diesel types out there please answer a few questions regarding the 66s and diesel locos in general regarding refuelling:
1. Where do the Castle Cement coal train locos go for refuelling?
2. What's the capacity of a 66 class fuel tank?
3. What's the range and the mpg of a class 66?
4. What kind of fuel does a class 66 use, is it similar to what we get in petrol stations?
5. Has a diesel loco ever run out of fuel on the mainline and, if so, how would it be refuelled? Would it be pulled to the nearest depot or refuelled with a tanker?
Thanks for your help in answering the questions of a 6 year old and a not so young 58 year old.
David.

Last edited by Preston Pilot 47472; 21st August 2011 at 10:22.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:22

OK simple the info you need is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_66

and yes loco's do run out of fuel on the mainline nowadays simply because companies try to get as much MPG as they can and run them to dry before filling up would you like a fuel tank that holds 6400 litres - For me it's bad enough having to find cash for 70 litres

HTH

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 21st August 2011, 10:41

It's no more expensive to fill up when half full, unless visits to the fuel pump make life difficult operational wise. Do diesel stabling points not have fuel facilities.

Do diesel locos run on normal diesel fuel, or do they use red diesel. I bet their price per litre is a hell of a lot less than we pay, bloody tax.

Whenever I see photos of steam locos there always seems to be a big enough pile of coal, or is it just me ?
Old 21st August 2011, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
It's no more expensive to fill up when half full, unless visits to the fuel pump make life difficult operational wise. Do diesel stabling points not have fuel facilities.

Do diesel locos run on normal diesel fuel, or do they use red diesel. I bet their price per litre is a hell of a lot less than we pay, bloody tax.

Whenever I see photos of steam locos there always seems to be a big enough pile of coal, or is it just me ?
AFAIK not all stable points have fuelling lines and a loco on depot isn't earning it's keep. I saw a 66 the other day and then watched it get reported on UK-RAIL it went from Leeds -- Southampton -- Carlisle --and the last I heard it was on it's way to Cornwall via Wales

Also now fuelling is made more difficult as they can't fill up a GDRf loco at a DBS or Freightliner depot either so depot location plays a big problem at times

and I'm not sure of what they run them on I do not know of a "Railway" diesel as a-kin to the farm or boat diesels (Red or Blue) that gets less tax

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 21st August 2011, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
AFAIK not all stable points have fuelling lines and a loco on depot isn't earning it's keep.... Also now fuelling is made more difficult as they can't fill up a GDRf loco at a DBS or Freightliner depot either so depot location plays a big problem at times
The OFFICIAL GBRf 'depot' at Eastleigh are the lines adjacent to the station - and there's nothing remotely resembling a fuelling point there whatsoever. The DBS/EWS locos refuel at the TMD, and the Railfreight locos use Southampton Maritime, but as for the GBRf locos....? I think the nearest facility might be at St Leonards, but I could be wrong.
An odd thing is that XC Voyagers can be found at Eastleigh TMD, so I'm not quite sure how THAT works....
Old 21st August 2011, 12:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
I saw a 66 the other day and then watched it get reported on UK-RAIL it went from Leeds -- Southampton -- Carlisle --and the last I heard it was on it's way to Cornwall via Wales
That driver must have a large route card.
Old 21st August 2011, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
That driver must have a large route card.
....and pyjamas...
Old 21st August 2011, 14:42

A GBRf driver I met a few weeks ago told me they often fill up from bowsers. Never actually seen it myself, but then they're usually working when most wise mortals are in bed, and often sat out in possessions in the middle of nowhere.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:54
Station Manager

I think the EVR pay about 70p per litre for diesel at present. It is used in all our rail and road rail vehicles. Last weekend the Class 31 used 150 gallons of Fuel for 5 return trips, Wirksworth to Duffield, about 85 miles in total. Also included quite a period of time on tickover.

All the vehicles are refilled from a very old road garage style pump supplied from a tank.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:59

That's 1.76 gallons per mile and £477.33

Sounds a lot, but I would imagine the newer diesel locos were more fuel efficient.