21:59

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > On-track Machinery

Otm & Bdv!

Old 22nd November 2005, 22:54

Smile Otm & Bdv!

Thought Id have a go at starting this thread.
I have over the years worked professionaly with the big yellow stuff, used on the BR and Ex BR infrastructure.
In the mid 1990s I spent a fair bit of time in Plasser & Theurers works in Austria accepting new kit for the UK, Ironically, 10 years on Im back involved with it again whilst working for freight operating co's.

I also spent many years on rerailing duties, so often worked with the breakdown train and cranes, I also used to drive the Bruff road/rail vans for derailments.

Just curious to how many people are out that that share the interest of big yellow bits of kit and re-railing and recovery work?
Cheers
Ringo

Old 5th January 2006, 16:54

You are not the only one involved with the stuff - and I find it fascinating. I spend a lot of time carrying out noise and vibration assessments on the stuff - and I have to say that some of the new stuff out there may appear excellent, but it really is a bunch of dross.

What is fun though - and I had a chance to do this last year - is to carry out the noise and vibration tests on a man access trolley - the Lesmac Swift - on a private railway, and being given the chance to have a go - this thing accelerates and stops like a go-cart!!!!
Old 5th January 2006, 22:19

Cool OTM or MOW...

Stanners ...where you from, not involved with a certain amount of vehicles for the NDS are you?????

Ive been involved with big yellow machines since the early 1990's, and have spent a lot of time in Austria at Plasser & Thurers works in Linz.

What else you been involved with?

Ringo...
Old 5th January 2006, 22:20

I admit I have been derelict in getting more railroad machinery posted on my website. I have hundreds of pics of the stuff. Here is a link to what I do have so far:

http://www.trainweb.org/tomfassett/pics2/mow_spec.html

Tom F
Old 5th January 2006, 22:32

Talking Cranes

Liked the ACR rail crane, what is it ..about 100 ton capacity?

Ive got some of a rail crane taken in Toronto in 1986, about the same size as the ACR one, it used to be kept at the depot which is now the sky dome i believe, it was also used to rerail one of EWS's new class 66's when that fell off in 1998...

I have a load of pics taken at Agincourt yard Toronto, in 86, but would need to scan them in though.
what typesof OTP/MOW you been involved with then?

Ringo
Old 5th January 2006, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringoosmeg
Liked the ACR rail crane, what is it ..about 100 ton capacity?
Ringo
Right on. Good call...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringoosmeg
what typesof OTP/MOW you been involved with then?

Ringo
Taking pictures of the things mostly... The only work I've ever done on anything like this is painting old stuff at a railway museum.

Tom F
Old 7th January 2006, 13:30

Ringo

From Staffordshire mate, but do a fair bit with the High Output Trains at the mo - the ballast cleaners and the tampers and regulators in particular.

Also do the noise and vibration work on the fleet that the Comapny own - mix of P&C and PL Tampers, Road Railers - Unimogs, Land Rovers, 26T Seddon Atkinsons, EGO4s plus some new stuff coming in this year.....
Old 7th January 2006, 20:42

Stanners,

So are you based at the OLd Jarvis yard (Salop sidings) at Stafford then for Net Rail?

I used to be passed and used to drive the old BRUFFs...and also 130" R/R land Rovers .
Spent many hours out with the old HOBC that being DR76101, the Kershaw bult monster, and the associated SLSHS and BDS support trains.

Ringo
Old 8th January 2006, 17:42

Nah - I work for a company whose HQ is in Scotland!! All the stuff is based in Manchester or north of the border, plus the HOBC sets in Reading and Donny that we operate under a JV for Network Rail - and to be honest this is only a small part of my job, but it is the bit I enjoy the most, as I am also involved in looking at how the railway copes with new legislation on noise and vibration - and specifically re OTP, RRMs, RMMMs + RRVs.....
Old 8th January 2006, 21:08

Green Locos

Ah, the big green locos on the front of your trains in/out of Reading are ours!
Ringo