09:20

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Class 66 refuelling query

Old 21st August 2011, 18:07
Station Manager

Class 31 are not noted for their Fuel efficiency! I agree with you figures! Still cheaper than Steam. The Class 2 used about 3 tons of coal at about £180 per ton on the same roster.

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 21st August 2011, 18:39

thanks for the info lads, it's really interesting. 1.76 gallons per mile? Sounds like my wife has been moonlighting as a loco driver!
This all begs the question, are drivers taught fuel conservation driving measures or, is it a question of, get your foot down and get it all delivered as fast as you can?
Old 21st August 2011, 21:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Pilot 47472 View Post
thanks for the info lads, it's really interesting. 1.76 gallons per mile? Sounds like my wife has been moonlighting as a loco driver!
This all begs the question, are drivers taught fuel conservation driving measures or, is it a question of, get your foot down and get it all delivered as fast as you can?
On DBS our 66/67 have been fitted with a restrictor to stop us using notch 8 (full power). The aim fuel conservation and its called 'Fuel Efficient Driving' We can go to notch 8 if the train is late or due to the weight etc it is required for time keeping

The loco's run on red,yellow,green,blue or whatever colour the fuel depot decides to make it and whats the cheapest at the time of ordering.

A loco of a compeditor must be given access to yards and facilities of another company under the access agreements therefore if a Gbrf loco requires juice and the only place available is a DBS fuel point we must if we have fuel avail refuel that loco and raise a bill for the juice.

Hope this helps.
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:02

Miles Per Gallon

When i worked on the railways we once worked out the mpg for a class 47 from Springs Branch to Carlisle and return on a 1200t freightliner turn and after refiling with fuel worked out at approx 1mpg
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Of Blackrod View Post
When i worked on the railways we once worked out the mpg for a class 47 from Springs Branch to Carlisle and return on a 1200t freightliner turn and after refiling with fuel worked out at approx 1mpg
Bet that's still a lot better than the equivalent number of lorries might use (in total) to move the same tonnage.
Old 29th August 2011, 00:32

I have seen EWS locos fueled at Rylstone Quarry,out of a road tanker. but this was before they mended the Service Shed at HM.
They spent thousands of £s mendeding the shed then a couple of years ago they shut it.
Supose thats progress.
Old 29th August 2011, 09:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM181 View Post
I have seen EWS locos fueled at Rylstone Quarry,out of a road tanker. but this was before they mended the Service Shed at HM.
They spent thousands of £s mendeding the shed then a couple of years ago they shut it.
Supose thats progress.
No, it's yet another example of hasty short-term thinking.
Old 4th September 2011, 19:53

Just bought a copy of Railway Magazine because I'm on holiday and it's raining stair rods.

In the September issue on page 20 is a pic of GBRf "66715 at Barking waiting to be refuelled by a road tanker before working back to Trafford Park."