00:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Eurostars - HS1 to North Pole Depot

Old 29th December 2011, 16:42

Wink Eurostars - HS1 to North Pole Depot

I believe that for some time North Pole Depot on the Great Western Main Line just to the south of Old Oak Common was used by Eurostars (leaving HS1 from just north of St Pancras).

My question is: What route did they take and could this be used as a much cheaper link from Old Oak Common to HS1 compared with the £1billion link with a long tunnel proposed by HS2?

I realise that only UK gauge trains (like Eurostar) could use this route but the numbers on trains from the North and Midlands to Europe (or Kent) will be small and the money saved in construction huge.

Old 29th December 2011, 21:23

If I remember correctly, and someone may correct me on this, Eurostars used North Pole depot for as long as they ran to Waterloo, not St Pancras. Access was via west London Jct & Kensington Olympia from the line out of Waterloo. I believe that the new eurostar depot at Temple Mills opened when services were transferred to St. Pancras.
HS 1 has the capability to take continental rolling stock such as the German I.C.E. one of which has visited St. Pancras. I understand that services to German destinations may start in 2012 using these sets.

Regards, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 30th December 2011 at 03:13.
Old 29th December 2011, 21:46

As I Understand it

The whole point of HS2 is high speed larger than standard UK loading gauge which is why everything is costing out more. If you check out HS1 that has a larger loading gauge which is why the larger intermodals are using it

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 30th December 2011, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
If I remember correctly, and someone may correct me on this, Eurostars used North Pole depot for as long as they ran to Waterloo, not St Pancras. Access was via west London Jct & Kensington Olympia from the line out of Waterloo. I believe that the new eurostar depot at Temple Mills opened when services were transferred to St. Pancras.
HS 1 has the capability to take continental rolling stock such as the German I.C.E. one of which has visited St. Pancras. I understand that services to German destinations may start in 2012 using these sets.

Regards, 62440.
You are spot on sir.
Apart from the proposed use of ICE trains via HS1/HS2 which has now been postponed until 2015.
Old 30th December 2011, 17:36

They know everything about trains on here!

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 31st December 2011, 16:53

Hi Zoom and welcome to the forum. Looks like you got your answers and hope you enjoy our company.
Regards
Phil
Old 1st January 2012, 16:15

The massive North Pole Depot is now completely empty and unused now. Add to that the refurbished and rebuilt Stratford and Willesden Container Terminals now defunct or demolished, they show the shameful waste of Taxpayers money squandered in the whole Channel Tunnel Railway project. They shout 'cuts' but it is the vulnerable who suffer. Roll on the Olympics another £9 Billion wasted! Happy New Year to all.

Last edited by Seabrook; 1st January 2012 at 16:18.