11:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Multipl Gauges

Old 12th May 2009, 23:29

Multipl Gauges

An error in a recent issue of Narrow Gauge World magazine may me realise that Montreux is one of the few places in the world where trains of more than 2 gauges meet.

SBB - standard gauge
MOB - metre gauge
Rochers de Naye - 800mm

Does anyone know of any other current examples of stations with multiple gauges ? [ Not including museums ]

I know Leipaja (Latvia) had 5 different gauges before the war ! [600mm, 760mm, metre, standard, russian - but the 600mm and metre gauge were converted to 760mm in the 1930s ]

All the best

Martin

Old 13th May 2009, 07:38

There are some in Australia.
I am sure I saw in a book (Guinness book of railway records?) some where in Australia where 3 gauges meet.
Old 13th May 2009, 18:29

But the best-known 3-gauge station in Australia (what was it, anyway?) doesn't have 3 gauges anymore.

There were some triple-gauge stations in India (5'6", metre and 2'6" or 2') but I don't know if any still have all three.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:25

Epping Ongar Railway has standard gauge and 5ft. gauge (Finnish stock) but they dont go far at the moment owing to redevelopment!
Old 14th May 2009, 00:21

[QUOTE=Triplex;27571]But the best-known 3-gauge station in Australia (what was it, anyway?) doesn't have 3 gauges anymore.

QUOTE]

I think it was Port Augusta. Forgot about that one because only one of thre gauges was narrow !
Old 25th May 2009, 18:58

Is the place in Australia you were thinking of Gladstone? There is an interesting photo on Railpictures.net , judging by the caption the NG did not last much longer than the early to mid 1980s
Old 26th May 2009, 15:49

Yes, that's the place (and photo) I was thinking of.
Old 17th June 2009, 01:23

There is a gauge here in the states called dual gauge. Its were two of any gauge share the same track. There is a third rail that runs between the larger gauge to let the smaller gauge use the same track.
Old 17th June 2009, 21:00

Not just in the USA. There was dual gauge in many countries. Indeed, almost anywhere more than one gauge existed, there would be some dual gauge somewhere. In the past, there were some places with triple gauge, but I don't know of any now that aren't test tracks or tourist lines. There must be some left somewhere in the world....