12:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Eating habits in train stations

Old 23rd February 2010, 16:38
Station Manager

Hello ThomasS and welcome to the Railway Forum. I find that a glass of water will stop hunger for a few hours. I can't have any sugar (diabetic) and try to keep away from eating between meals. Water has been my answer for a long time and always works.

Old 23rd February 2010, 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
You say about that Anon
I know a bloke that went into the shunters toilets at Tavistock Jtc NO PAPER so he used his yellow vest and blocked the toilets up .

ccmmick.
AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH! THE DIRTY BA.....! lol haha that is gross, poor cleaners and mental note never to pick up a discarded Hi Viz! lol
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:03
Station Manager

Hi Thomas, welcome to the Forum.

If I am travelling any distance I usually have some food with me. If I have to spend time at a station I would look for a drink of tea or coffee.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:12

Welcome to this very informal & friendly forum, Thomas. I normally travel with some sausage rolls and a can of coke, but am not averse to visiting pubs situated outside stations for a bite to eat (burger & chips, etc) and a couple of pints to wash it down. However, when I've travelled in Holland, the perfect solution is to be found (as no doubt you know); those dispensing windows to be found on many Dutch stations, equipped with a large variety of inexpensive savoury snacks - they're DELICIOUS! My favourites were Nasi Goreng and Fricadels. Just the job - keep you going all day until it's time for a whole meal. Highly recommended to all rail travellers visiting Holland.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:43

i worked in the buffet at manchester victoria,we had to clean the toilets too,,we put on a big red glove and once i had to remove a pair of tights with soiled underwear in them,this was in the male toilets ermm??we made all the food and it was fresh and hands were washed frequently,,food in railway stations is over priced and microwaveable,no nutrition but a quick fix until you reach home for a balanced meal,my advice is to take sandwiches,you know who made them,and whats in them.
Old 24th February 2010, 04:41

good advice faltskog36abba, I am traincrew and used to eat each day on stations, add the cost of starbucks etc etc and I was spending £10 frequently each day. I've saved a fortune and spend about £10 a week on taking a packup and a flask! DIY Its the future! lol
Old 24th February 2010, 16:22
Registered Member

Nasi Goreng...........bring it on !

I got the taste for that when I was in the far east, in fact in the Market in Kuching (Sarawak) they done the "bestest" Nasi Goreng ever.

There thats surprised you lot "Eh" ?

A long way from Nuneaton shed AND I have been on the footplate of a Malaysian train travelling from Tampin overnight.

Not just a pretty face

Sadly no 8Fs though

Old 24th February 2010, 16:34

48111, Respect!

Always fancied Malaysia, would love to get the train from Singapore to Kula Lumper!
Old 24th February 2010, 18:48

Back in the late 1960s we used to eat pie, chips and gravy and drink cream soda at Durban station (South Africa) on our weekend outings with my dad. The old railway terminal had a lot of character, unlike the cattle shed that replaced it (a few miles away). It can be seen at 29 51' 22.89"S 31 01' 26.16"E (paste that in the "fly to" box) on Google Earth. The old workshop can be seen to the right and is now a shopping center and flea market (in the original building) and the station is a health studio. The trains entered and exited to the left and the tracks followed the road to the north west.
Old 24th February 2010, 18:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27vet View Post
and drink cream soda .
Ooh, I like cream soda !

Can you still buy it ?