20:40

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

shed codes

Old 7th January 2014, 12:23

shed codes

I have been looking at the new Hornby 9F Crosti and thinking I would like one maybe more of them for my future layout and have come to realise that the shed are a bit confusing.

I plan is to model the Leicester London road station, in the future shed code (15C) after looking on the BR database I found some if not most Crosti's where base at the Kettering shed (15c) later 15b. so was the Kettering shed a sub shed of Leicester at some point and if so would this have meant that it would have been likely that some Crostis may have been stabled at Leicester.

Old 7th January 2014, 17:53

My book says: 92020 to 92029 were introduced in 1955 and fitted with Crosti boilers.
Wellingborough 15A, Kettering 15B, Leicester 15c, Coalville 15D, Leicester (GC) 15E, Market Harborough Seaton 15F. (These lists include alterations brought about or proposed by the regional boundary changes of February 1st 1958, as far as at present known and are subject to amendment) (If that's any use.)
Old 7th January 2014, 18:45

The ten Crosti's introduced from March to July 1955 were all originally shedded at 15A Wellingborough. Between 1959 and 1962 they were rebuilt into a more standard form but classified 8F because of their smaller boilers, (they retained the secondary boiler underneath the main boiler). In 1963 92028/9 went to 21A Saltley, in 1966 they went to the Wirral area until withdrawal.
Old 7th January 2014, 20:50

This may help
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ays_shed_codes
Old 8th January 2014, 10:53

thank you for your repliers, what I supposes I was trying to say was the workings of the railway so I can try to improve the loco stud for 15C,(wishing to model 1950to55) I have looked up the BR database and the allocation to LEICESTER was Jinty's 8F's Black5, Compound's 2P's 3F's and 4F's also with the odd 2-6-4t and the high light 4-4-2t tilbury tank. come 1954/5, 5X2MT 2-6-0 and 1 5MT 4-6-0 turn up. I Know jubilees with the odd scot/pat would have past thought Leicester but would not have gone on to the MPD. so was trying to open up the stud well still being realistic. would things like Garratts and Supper D from Wellingborough have stay at Leicester or would they Always have work Back to they Home shed.

take a Garratt working a London empty coal train to Leicester coal fields would she then just have gone to Leicester MPD to return the next day to pick a full train up, or have gone the exter 15/20 miels to the home shed of Wellingborough

OR should I Fall back to the old Line and just say it's may layout.

Last edited by farren; 8th January 2014 at 11:50.
Old 9th January 2014, 22:44

Hi Farren,
I would refer you to the book "British Railways Steam Locomotives Allocations" by Hugh Longworth, ISBN 978 0 86093 642 8. It details every loco allocated to every shed between those dates. It is an expensive book but a "must" for your reference library.
Old 9th January 2014, 23:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Hi Farren,
I would refer you to the book "British Railways Steam Locomotives Allocations" by Hugh Longworth, ISBN 978 0 86093 642 8. It details every loco allocated to every shed between those dates. It is an expensive book but a "must" for your reference library.
It's a brilliant book and totally agree a must if you wish to research.
Fully recommend it.
All the best
Phil
Old 18th January 2014, 18:21

sorry for the delay in replying to your suggestion I have put the book on my to get list the price is any ware between £30/90 so I have a couple of books on order but once they have arrived it will be the next one to get.

it should fit in nicely with British locomotives of 1948 (Chris Banks) and British Railway steam locomotives Loco's 1948-68.

But I think I will have to just make up what locos could have been visiting from other sheds.
Old 20th January 2014, 03:14

Try this as a cheaper alternative Farren. http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php...ge=snap&id=318
Just put the year and month in and it will list Leicester Midland's allocation for you.

Regards, 62440
Old 31st October 2015, 02:10

Sorry for a slight delay of only 22 months getting back to you. The database is differently a good idea. Cheers 62440.