07:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

What are the best looking stations (interior or exterior)?

Old 11th December 2007, 16:06

It is true that they were used to store beer but I don't know where it came from.

Old 12th December 2007, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroStar View Post
It is true that they were used to store beer but I don't know where it came from.
Yeah, it would have been from Burton then. Home of Bass (amongst others) and an incredible system of private brewery railways.
Old 12th December 2007, 02:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Yeah, it would have been from Burton then. Home of Bass (amongst others) and an incredible system of private brewery railways.
Just a little information about brewing in Burton-on-Trent!
http://www.burtoncamra.org.uk/burton.html
Old 12th December 2007, 06:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul miller View Post
A friend of mine drives for East Midland Trains (Midland Mainline), and he used to get sneak viewings of the under platform areas. He says that areas had been long forgotten and sealed up only to be like a time warp when rediscovered. Has anyone else heard this?
Paul.
Yes, I have. There are some quite fascinating undercrofts below many stations. I recently got a chance to have a poke around underneath Brighton's platforms. In one of the arches there are stored the original wooden moulds for the ornate metalwork of the trainshed .

There used to be several pedestrian tunnels which ran quite some way out across the hill side. They were exposed when the foundations were put in for the new housing conurbation, but have now been destroyed. You can see the original steps down into the labyrinth when you stand on some of the platforms.

Last edited by Foghut; 12th December 2007 at 06:08.
Old 12th December 2007, 12:23

I know this friend of mine said about St Pancras, he had seen a barbers shop that had closed in the 60's and still had the mirrors and chair that where heaven only knows how old. This was at the time the area under the station was being stripped out, prior to the refurbishment. It makes you wonder where all these artefacts have gone. These are the sort of things that should be going to the Railway Museum, or any preserved railway for that matter. Though not railway items, they are part and parcel of a great railway system.
Paul.
Old 15th December 2007, 22:18

The undercrofts of the old Manchester Central are now publically accessible- as a car park.
Old 28th March 2008, 04:49

I still like to see the old Regional styled Stations preserved........update the amenities of course......... but please, leave the character of the Stn intact.

One Station that I know of, A "Gem" IMO is: the German "Rudesheim" stn on the river Rhine. It still looks and is, the same as from WW2 I suspect. To the locals it may look "run down" and old. But!.....the cobbles outside, the building, etc, is fabulous......I do hope that when the Germans decide to upgrade this station that they will do it with regard to it's historical importance and not destroy it.

To my shame I've been there many times over the years and have never taken photographs. Next time, I will,..and I'll post them here......

Regional style is important...............
Old 5th May 2008, 02:53

...On the otherhand!....

If you're building new!

Anyone with "Google Earth"....go to "frankfurt airport" and find the new ICE Stn complex which lies to the north over the autobahn from the airport. Click on the camera views there..........Fabulosa! Looks more like an Air terminal.............
Old 28th September 2009, 23:12

victoria is indeed unique,needs some tlc tho,theres 2 ticket machines under the destination screens,but you cant buy cheap tickets from them tho,rail rangers etc.
Old 29th September 2009, 00:38

Yes, the distances between the supporting pillars under St. Pancras were in multiples of the size of a beer barrel.
There used to be trainloads of beer from Burton on Trent, they used to be the highlight of the evening for us spotters at Coalville, 1959-60. Usually had a 17B crab 2-6-0 on the front but strangers would sometimes turn up unexpectedly like my first 9F on the late running down empties service one night.
Cheers, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 29th September 2009 at 00:42.