23:04

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Severn Valley Railway Diesel Gala this w/e

Old 2nd October 2012, 09:47

Severn Valley Railway Diesel Gala this w/e

Severn Valley Railway Diesel Gala

I'm quite looking forward to this, this Thursday onwards. I live in Warrington but I've managed for the last couple of years to find accommodation in the area for the duration of the event, but don't recall it being Thursday-Saturday in previous years. This made it more difficult to find somewhere to stay this time, does anyone know why it's not Friday-Sunday like most other galas?

I was also thinking it's a shame that 56007 won't be there, leaving the usual fare of 37s and 50s mainly. The Peak is the only one that's a bit different to the usual stuff really. Which got me thinking - the practice of hiring main line locos for galas seems to have died off - one memorablea example of this was when the East Lancs Railway hired in two Freightliner class 66s for their diesel gala a few years ago, which made for some great haulage and photos. Has it just become too expensive to do this? It would be great to ride behind a 70 or 60 on a heritage line.

I suppose I'm saying the galas are still good fun but maybe there is not enough variety in the available traction - from the SVR listing it seems there are FOUR class 50s and two class 37s at this one.

Any thoughts?