12:10

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Robin Hood Line Extension

Old 30th January 2011, 14:01

Robin Hood Line Extension

Does anyone have any up to date news on the demise of the Robin Hood rail extension plans to Ollerton from Shirebrook via Warsop and Edwinstow?
I seem to be a bit out of touch.
The only information I can find is here; http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/ne...l/article.html
I was recently speaking with a Lib Dem councilor who said he thought there are still plans in the pipeline and funding in place but dates are not on the current agenda.
I wondered if any members had some updated information for me before I start making further enquiries with our local representatives.

Old 24th August 2011, 23:18

In answer to your question, I've heard nothing, but although I would love to see trains running along that line, to be honest I can't see it being feasible. For one thing the route to Nottingham via Shirebrook and Mansfield is circuitous and would not compete time wise with the car down the A614 from Ollerton. Also, the line as it stands only skirts the edge of both Warsop and Ollerton so the stations are hardly in advantageous locations. There could be some tourist potential at Edwinstowe, I suppose. Far better would be to extend the Robin Hood line to Doncaster, maybe via Worksop and Retford with re-opened stations at Bawtry and Rossington, assuming a path could be found for such trains on the ECML between Retford and Donny. As it stands, the RHL's northern outlet is poor with badly timed connections at Worksop.
Old 26th August 2011, 16:03

I think you've summed up the situation well there rainworthgord.

Last edited by Master Cutler; 26th August 2011 at 16:16.
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:00

The other alternative to Donny could be using the South Yorkshire Joint with stations at South Anston, Laughton Common (there used to be a station there for Dinnington) and Maltby, it would rely on a reversal at Worksop though, and it is only a single road.
Alan
Old 6th December 2011, 16:28

Yes that had occured to me too but, as with the Dukeries line to/through Ollerton the SYJ doesn't seem to go anywhere near the main towns it purported to serve, i.e. Dinnington, Maltby and Tickhill. It,s also circuitous between Worksop and Tickhill. I know Worksop to Doncaster via Retford is hardly direct either but at least the train going that way could motor a bit whereas the curvy SYJ would not be fast enough to compete.
Old 8th May 2012, 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainworthgord View Post
as with the Dukeries line to/through Ollerton the SYJ doesn't seem to go anywhere near the main towns it purported to serve, i.e. Dinnington, Maltby and Tickhill. .
Yes but it does / did go near the collieries that were the original reason fro constructing it. [ I believe passenger service only lasted for 20 years - closing in 1929 ]
Old 11th May 2012, 03:18

Interesting stuff......