03:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Taxi trips for drivers

Old 29th February 2008, 20:59
Station Manager

I can understand a taxi within a city or 20 or so miles, but my point is a 4 hour trip of 200 miles is unacceptable. I have also been put on a taxi when my train arrived late and I missed my connection, but that was as a passenger not someone who was about to take a train out and travel at 100 + MPH with a lot of passengers onboard.

Old 2nd March 2008, 00:44

I work for EWS and we use taxi's all the time. Usually on local trips of just a few miles, but I have been in a taxi all the way to Healey Mills Yard and Rotherham from Tees quite a lot. The longest taxi ride I've had was from Toton near Nottingham to Tees, but that was cos I'd got there too late to catch the last train home.
Old 6th March 2008, 13:13

The reason I mentioned Manchester Victoria to Manchester Piccadilly is because a taxi is probably 3 times the charge of a tram. Maybe a taxi should be used in an emergency if staff need to quickly transfer between stations. However, most of the time I wouldn't think it matters.
Old 7th March 2008, 13:46

Would have thoght it would be quicker on the tram with all the traffic arround !
Old 10th March 2008, 13:16

It would depend on how long you had to wait for a tram. I've had to wait half an hour at he most, so in those circumstances it'd be quicker to get a taxi. However, ther are times when you don't have to wait at all.
Old 10th March 2008, 15:48

It's all well and good saying that drivers should try and take public transport instead of taxis,

What most people don't realise is the amount of kit a driver is supposed to carry around with him/her, let me tell you that it can weigh what feels like a ton when you have to carry it for a distance.

Les
Old 12th March 2008, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi View Post
It would depend on how long you had to wait for a tram. I've had to wait half an hour at he most, so in those circumstances it'd be quicker to get a taxi. However, ther are times when you don't have to wait at all.
There should be a tram between Victoria and Piccadilly every 12 minutes. However, most conductors would be capable of walking between St. Peters Square and Piccadilly (trams between Victoria and St. Peters Square should be every 6 minutes.
Old 12th March 2008, 13:01
Registered Member

Why don't rail companys buy cars and employ their own drivers instead of using taxis, or would that be more expensive than hiring taxis.
Old 12th March 2008, 13:12
Station Manager

It would cost far too much. Think of the running costs, then you would need three drivers plus some extra ones to cover days off, sick. holidays, hangovers etc. You would also need more than one car so as to cover servicing, breakdowns, accidents and two cars may be needed at the same time going to diffrent places. No a taxi or public transport is far cheaper.
Old 12th March 2008, 13:18
Registered Member

Hi Syd but are cheaper options always the best.