22:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

manchester victoria

Old 2nd April 2010, 21:52

i have been to wakefield kirkgate and thought it a grot spot,man vic has lots of problems but compared to kirkgate its a gem,why wakefield kirkgate wasnt on the top 10 worst stations i dont know,money should be spent on it asap,is it a busy station?only went there once about 5 years ago and was quiet,whether its busy or not a station night or day should be inviting to passengers.

Old 6th April 2010, 21:05

I went to Man Vic every saturday before the Oldham Loop closed, and belive me the toilets are rubbish and i hate using the footbridge, keep thinking I will fall onto the lines
Old 7th April 2010, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpxpress View Post
I went to Man Vic every saturday before the Oldham Loop closed, and belive me the toilets are rubbish and i hate using the footbridge, keep thinking I will fall onto the lines
Why, do you have the random ability to fall through glass and / or sheet metal?

The toilets aren't the best.
Old 7th April 2010, 20:54

Are you talking about the stairs to the MEN arena?

Is there anywhere that the the latter eysore could be relocated and we could have more through platforms? Those are needed more than ever now. I have to go through the station on my way to the east lancs on saturday for the small engines day.
Old 7th April 2010, 22:49

the toilets in man vic are disgusting you are soo right,went in there about 5 years ago and went into a cubicle-blood was on the toilet seat,disgusting,after complaining to the station staff,that part of the toilet was closed-i doubt it was just me having a part in that as there are many people who use them,the last time i used those disgraceful so called facilities was when i went to the urinals,sat on the floor were drunks singing-where were the btp?the overbridge at victoria gets very dirty quickly,i sent an e-mail to northern and network rail,i couldnt believe it when early last year there were posters saying were cleaning the footbridge,this should be done anyway,look at the arena staircase its spotless,anyway the overbridge was cleaned and again its filthy,another e-mail me thinks,vic is a grot spot but things are changing for that station..northern hub etc,wakefield kirkgate is terrible tho.
Old 25th May 2010, 22:03

Angry worst uk stations funding axed

according to bbc north west news,the government have axed the emergency funding for the top ten worst rail stations in england,stockport,wigan north western crewe etc will get ziltch,whilst manchester victoria will get some more work done,but on a smaller scale,its gone from a 300 mil + redevelopment to 30 mil, now its scaled down again,its a joke
Old 1st June 2010, 11:35
Registered Member

Well I am talking without experience of "Man Vic", but it is the same with any of our old stations, if they are reopened again or rebuilt or whatever, they never regain the character that they had originally, it is such a shame.
My favourite station for atmosphere when I was a kid, was Birmingham Snow Hill, the old Snow Hill. Not everyones "cup of tea" no doubt, but it was full of character and atmosphere, the same I dare say as Manchester Victoria.
Mind you, the OLD New Street had a lot of character as well but now it is a horrible place, no atmosphere at all...too modern.

Old 10th June 2010, 18:31

Having just spent 6 days in Manchester on a spotting/photo trip, I spent the evening rushour on Friday and Monday evenings at Victoria. I found it very interesting operation wise. With the ex Yorkshire units going into platforms 1 & 2 and the Lancashire locals into 3,4,5 & 6. I positioned myself on the West end of Platform 3 from where I could see most of the action (including the Metro). Platform 6 was almost impossible to see, it being so dark.
If HSE were on the ball, the toilets would be condemned, but they are the only ones available. They were stinking and badly needed a dose of bleach, but at least they were free. The Gents at Piccadilli station cost 30 pence; surely the dearest pee in Britain!
Old 11th June 2010, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
If HSE were on the ball, the toilets would be condemned, but they are the only ones available. They were stinking and badly needed a dose of bleach, but at least they were free. The Gents at Piccadilli station cost 30 pence; surely the dearest pee in Britain!
Liverpool Lime Street, Birmingham New Street & London Euston also charge 30p for the privilege, whereas many other main-line stations are completely free (e.g. Preston, Warrington Bank Quay, Crewe, Stafford, Bristol Temple Meads). Not sure why there is such a discrepency. I suppose it is true to say though that where you have to pay, the toilets are generally more modern and of a higher standard.

I know what you mean about Manchester Victoria though. Have travelled through there several times in the last few weeks. So glad the toilets are free, but yes they are in a bit of a state.

The notice they had outside which reads something like "due to repeated incidents of indecent behaviour, the area is now monitored by CCTV" can be a little off putting though.
Old 12th June 2010, 22:01

i used to work in the victoria station buffet bar,as there were problems in the toilets on the main concourse-men looking for men ,drug taking etc,they closed the cubicles on the station,men used to come into the buffet bar toilets and do exactly the same,we then had to have a code to enter the toilets for the same reasons,only available from the bar,i used to clean those toilets each evening,once i found a pair of soiled tights in the mens,and myself and my boss caught a mother and daughter injecting drugs in the womens,this no doubt happens in lots of public places,to pay to have to use a toilet in a puplic place,with an attendant,i feel is worth every penny,they should be free,but would rather go to the loo and pay-rather than go when dodgy characters are hanging around in unstaffed loos.